Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6 (127 Views)

Phone socket issue

Hi,

We had a problem with our phone line back in August 2016. An engineer came out and identified the problem to be the master socket where the line comes into the property. We are in a new build and the line runs into a media plate with euro module sockets rather than a separate box. The engineer said that they don't usually carry that type of socket and he would need to backorder a replacement but connected up a full size box as a temporary fix.

A few days later I received a call from the same engineer to say that the correct socket type has been ordered and he'll be in touch to arrange fitting when they come into stock. After several weeks of not hearing anything I called Customer Service for an update. They said that they would send an engineer, I explained this was a waste of time if they didn't have the right part but they insisted on arranging a visit.

Sure enough, the second engineer arrived as planned and was unable to do anything as he didn't carry the right type of socket. He said he'd have to backorder but would be in touch as soon as they were available and that I didn't need to place another call. A week later I had a follow up call from the engineer to say that it hadn't been forgotten and he'd be in touch again when the part was available. A couple of weeks after that, I received another call to say the sockets were now available and as it's only a quick job and he lives locally he'd call back to arrange fitting in the next week or so. Great!

After hearing nothing more, and now into January 2017, I eventually gave in and contacted Customer Service again. Once again an engineer came out and couldn't do anything because they didn't carry the right socket. I explained that this was now the third time I'd been told this and each time I had been assured the correct sockets would be ordered. This time the engineer was new so he spoke to his mentor to confirm the right course of action. I was told that either the mentor or regional manager would be in touch in the next few days. I have heard nothing since.

This means I have had a temporary socket dangling from a hole in the wall for over 7 months and seemingly no closer to getting the right type to replace the original socket. You can see the temporary socket in the picture below, and the type of socket that it replaced just above to the left (that one is the BT line). 

IMG_20170320_154055.jpg

These euro modular wall plates are now fitted as standard on most new build properties. Our site alone has 90 houses, and around 100 apartments. The developer heavily promotes Virgin Media to buyers and the majority of owners took advantage of the discount on offer when moving in. This means nearly every property here has been connected by Virgin Media over the last two years using a euro module socket and yet it doesn't seem appropriate to carry these in case of faults.

As the telephone Customer Service team haven't been able to resolve this I thought I'd give the Forum team a try.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 6 (116 Views)

Re: Phone socket issue

as to the techs - cannot help 

the socket looks like a standard 50 x 25 module - cheap as chips on ebay - 2 types - master and slave - that [i guess] will be the master - your call but for less than 3 quid i would get one - what you do from there is up to you - book a tech and present him with the new socket or fit it yourself - a push down tool would help but a thin blade does the same

one here - there wil be many others - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-TELEPHONE-PSTN-FULL-MASTER-VOICE-FACEPLATE-MODULE-MADE-BY-PRESSAC-/2215...

Tony
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6 (109 Views)

Thanks tony.

I had been contemplating going down that route but it really shouldn't be beyond Virgin to resolve so I thought I'd try the Forum team first as they're usually pretty helpful. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 6 (106 Views)

[ Edited ]

ac75 wrote:

Thanks tony.

I had been contemplating going down that route but it really shouldn't be beyond Virgin to resolve so I thought I'd try the Forum team first as they're usually pretty helpful. 

i would guess they will bounce it back to the techs - again 'guessing' this is outside the area of help for the forum team

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6 (85 Views)

Hi ac75

I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your phone socket, I've contacted the engineers in your local area for more information on this issue and once I hear back from them I'll be in touch. 

Apologies again for the inconvenience this is causing, we'll talk soon.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6 (72 Views)

Thanks Craig. I'll wait for your reply.

0 Kudos