Menu
ceegray
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phone service

My phone is working very strangely, unable to make or receive calls, lots of line interference people trying to call me get engaged tone. Spoke to tech service this morning who was adamant problem was with my handset. Connected a spare handset same problem. Purchased another phone same problems and this handset is telling me to check  the phone line. Losing faith in Virgin Does anyone have any suggestions please..

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Buzby16
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone service

Hi I m a old POTS (plain old telephone service) engineer and if you have  a short circuit on the line callers will get engaged tone and you will not be able to get dial  tone and be unable to dial out! They should be able to test a short on the line with their testers!Be aware that if you have dial tone in the master socket behind the faceplate the fault is inside if no dial tone the fault is outside.it could be water or cable damage causing the fault. Buzby16

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ceegray

Welcome to the Community, I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service at the moment.

I've located your account and run some tests on the line from our end for you, I'd like to arrange for an engineer to come and take a closer look if you're available?

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused, we're looking forward to getting this issue resolved.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
Buzby16
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi I m a old POTS (plain old telephone service) engineer and if you have  a short circuit on the line callers will get engaged tone and you will not be able to get dial  tone and be unable to dial out! They should be able to test a short on the line with their testers!Be aware that if you have dial tone in the master socket behind the faceplate the fault is inside if no dial tone the fault is outside.it could be water or cable damage causing the fault. Buzby16

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ceegray

Welcome to the Community, I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service at the moment.

I've located your account and run some tests on the line from our end for you, I'd like to arrange for an engineer to come and take a closer look if you're available?

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused, we're looking forward to getting this issue resolved.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ceegray
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for response, engineer visit is now arranged, fingers crossed fault is outside!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No problem, thanks for confirming ceegray

I'd love to hear how it goes and will be here should there be anything I can help with moving forward.

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos
DrJDadio
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have the exact same problem with my phone line! The online check says nothing is wrong phone the service number which is open from 8am till midnight. I follow the automatic answer machine and it agrees the is a fault and asks me to hold for 2 minutes. After 20 odd minutes the line goes dead as if someone had picked it up and put it straight down! I tried again and went through the automatic answer machine to be told the lines are now closed and it was only 10:30, but hold on if you have a telephone problem and the emergency team would answer. So I hung on the line again then an actual person answered and repeated the automated message that I was going to be put through to the emergency team. After hanging on some more some else answered and told me the lines are closed and he could put me through but they wouldn't answer and I'd just be told the same again. I told him what the website and the automated serve said and he more or less just repeated himself. I then said the service was f'in diabolical and he just transfered me mid sentence. I know I should not of used the first word but after being on the phone for over 40 minutes waiting for someone to run an extra test which would mean that we couldn't use our other services so all my family were without Internet or TV.
0 Kudos