Menu
GrahamBesw
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phone not working downstairs

On the 6th January I rang to report that our downstairs connection box does not appear to be working. I’ve checked that both our handsets work in our upstairs connection box & they both work fine. The VM agent said there will be a £50 charge for an engineer to call & I queried this as you advertise “free repairs”. She then said that one of her supervisors would call me back with 15 minutes, but nobody has called to date!!

Has anybody else had a similar problem & then been charged £50 for an engineer to call?

I also want our Super Hub & a Set-top box moved, but will go elsewhere if Virgin are going to start charging for repairs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not working downstairs

Hi there GrahamBesw, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums, and say that I'm really sorry to hear that you've been having some trouble with your phone line. 

We do offer free repairs, these would be to the main telephone socket, any additional sockets fed from there would be extension sockets, and these would be classed as customer owned sockets. It does seem strange that an upstairs socket is working whilst a downstairs one isn't. Normally the socket downstairs would be the master socket, with an upstairs one being an extension, and should the master have no dial tone, then it shouldn't be able to feed a line to an extension socket. 

I can certainly arrange for a technician to call out and take a look at things, however before I do so I'd like to ask a few questions. 

With your downstairs socket - Are there any other connections plugged into this, I.E. a double adapter, extension lead etc - if so, please remove everything from this socket, and try the phone directly into the phone socket. 

Please let me know how things go. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
GrahamBesw
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Huw,

Thanks for your reply.

The downstairs socket is the main socket &, I agree, it's very strange that we are receiving calls through the upstairs one.

I have tested both of our two phones directly in the main socket & there is no tone.

It would be great if you can arrange for an engineer to visit.

I want our Superhub re-positioned as well - would the same engineer be able to do this as well?

Thanks,

Graham 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. To be honest with you, I was thinking about this over the weekend, and think I know how it may be possible.

When I look at my home phone, I also have an extension upstairs, however when the installers put this in, they run a cable upstairs from the box outside, and then another cable into my living room, so my upstairs connection is not fed from my master socket downstairs, so in theory this could have a dial tone whilst my downstairs phone didn't. This may be the issue with your line. 

I've sent you a private message in order to arrange a technician, please look to the top right of this page where you'll see a purple envelope icon, click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos