Menu
calleyh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Phone not working and test on Virgin says it is!

Phone rang twice tonight - both times saying "Incoming Call".  I picked up the first time and there was nothing...so I kept saying "hello" and then presumed it was one of those nuisance calls.

But then I got an email from a friend saying that they'd phoned me twice and I wasn't in.  So I checked by phoning my own landline from my mobile.  I got the same "Incoming call" notice on my phone. 

So not being able to call anyone, I couldn't phone Virgin.  I went on the website and did a test.  Apparently nothing wrong but if I want to get an engineer out then it'll be 5 DAYS!!!

Today we had an engineer in the vicinity as several people had interference on the tv.  Could this have something to do with it.  The tv is fixed and the phone line is messed up.

Having to wait days is outrageous.  Please can you look into this asap. 

Anyone else having the same problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not working and test on Virgin says it is!

Hi there calleyh, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing an issue with your phone line at the moment. I'd also like to welcome you to the forums. 

I've done some testing on your line, and can see no reason why you should be experiencing an issue at the moment. So I'd now have to ask if you were able to eliminate your phone from being at fault, either by trying another phone on the line, or by trying your phone on a known working line. 

If you're able to confirm that the phone has been tested then the next step would be to arrange a technician to call out and investigate further.  

Apologies for the delay in being able to arrange a technician visit, you would always be offered the first available appointment. 

Did you book someone to call out via the website?

Apologies once again. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
calleyh
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response.

Last night and again this morning and again just now I phoned my landline with my mobile.  The phone rings and shows the message "Incoming call".

Even though I am connected, the landline just rings and rings and then goes to voicemail.

When I try to use my landline to ring my mobile, it lets me ring but does not connect.  I stayed on the line for a full minute and there was no connection.

I used to system test computer systems - I try everything first!

As no fault could be found according to your system, the best the automated booking system could offer was next Tuesday.  When I go on the Community Board it would appear that this problem is being found around the country. 

As I can see on the Known Faults section of your website that an engineer is heading to my area because of a known fault with the tv and as an engineer was at a neighbour's yesterday about tv faults and as he said that a number of people had the same fault then maybe something got messed up.  As you are sending an engineer for the tv problem, presumably it's all the same wires so please could you look at this problem at the same time.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
calleyh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just looked on the community line and someone called "swfuk" is having a similar problem .  He says he's an ex BT Switch engineer and says that this sort of thing happens after the "trunk has been left looped back after testing".  So maybe the fixing yesterday of another problem caused this one.

Please can you look into this as there would be no point in waiting until Tuesday for an engineer when the fault is at your end.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there calleyh, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this.  Having read through swfuk's issues, they do appear different to yours, as they state that it's certain numbers that don't get through. 

From their description, the calls are not making it past the exchange - so this would indicate that something is amiss with the routing of the calls. 

As the phone calls are ringing in your property, then it would suggest no routing issue, and a physical fault. You also state that you're unable to make calls. 

As all checks out on the network for you, then a technician visit would be best. 

Please let us know how things go with the technician. 

Cheers. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
calleyh
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The phone was fixed by your engineer on Tuesday afternoon.  As I thought, it was a problem at your box and not my phone.  At a time when I was trying to organise an important family event on Wednesday, having to wait about six days to get the phone fixed was disgraceful.  Apparently the fault at the box wouldn't have registered on the phone test I did on-line.  Seemingly because this test didn't register a fault I was put way back down the line and had to wait days to get fixed.  Why didn't you put a test on the box?  Surely you can do this. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi calleyh,

Thanks for the update and I'm pleased to hear all is working again now for you.  I am sorry that it took as long as it did to get fixed.  I know it is not ideal particularly as you were organising an important family event.

In some instances we can detect faults remotely either by the online test you had already done or here our end.  There are some faults that we're just unable to detect remotely unless an engineer carries out the checks and fixes the issue.

We're all for trying to make things better in the long run and this is something that I will be happy to feedback to our teams and hopefully we can make things better in the future.  

I realise this won't change your most recent experience, we're all for learning from these situations and always aim to making things better.

If you do have any further queries, we’re here to help so please don't hesitate to give us a shout if you need us.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos