Menu
kismet23
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Phone not ringing out

Hello,

This sounds like a familiar problem - not just with a virgin phone line, but with BT as well. My new cordless phone system won't ring for an incoming call; neither the base, or the handsets. I have reset them several times and sometimes they ring and sometimes they don't.

At first I thought it was a faulty phone (new BT with answerphone and 2 handsets - my old one worked fine), but having read of so many similar problems on the internet, I don't think it is.

I have read the troubleshooting instructions on the forum. I understand that this could be something to do with the 'REN', or a 'too low voltage to enable ringer to work'. Not being technically minded I have no idea how to establish these things. Perhaps some would kindly enlighten me? 

There are also quite a few posts (in various places) about engineers coming out and 'changing' some wiring, either in, or on the property, or at a nearby substation (probably not the right word).

I run my business from home and have missed several calls because of this. I can take my phone back to Curry's, but too many people have had two or three new phones replaced and encountered exactly the same problem.

HELP....please.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone not ringing out

Hi kismet23

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your handset at the moment.

With these issues, it can either be an issue with the handset or the line. I've been able to locate your account to run some tests on the line for you and we're not seeing any problems with your line.

With that in mind, have you been able to test your handset at all? By trying an alternate phone on your line or your phone on an alternate line?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
kismet23
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig,

Thank you very much for responding so swiftly. It is both the handset(s) and the base/answer machine and it appears to be spasmodic. I will reset everything and they all ring, and then suddenly they don't, or one does and another doesn't, without me touching or changing a thing. (The answer machine picks up messages OK though).

My old and similar phone system worked fine, but I have not tested anything in another house. This sounds so much like the problem that others have encountered and it generally isn't the phone....so what next? Is there an easy way I can check REN, voltage etc? Can you explain a bit more about these?

Thanks again Craig.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi kismet23

Thanks for the fast response, if there's an issue with the line voltage then you'd very likely see other problems with your phone line, such as noise on the line, or no dial tone.

Are the two handsets you've tested part of the same system? E.g only have one connection to the phone line. Do you have any corded handsets available to try?

Sorry again for the inconvenience this is causing, we're looking forward to hearing from you and getting this issue resolved.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
kismet23
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well...blow me down Craig! I have just tested this brand new system again, by calling my landline with my mobile. On first try the base and base handset worked, but the second handset didn't. I phoned again and then they both worked, followed by an incoming call that rang on both base and the two handsets....???

I tried again and now the second handset isn't ringing. Doh!

As you can imagine I am loath to return my phone system yet, as more than a few posters on various forums have replaced their systems, once, twice and, on occasion, three times and still had the same problem. 

Can you explain a little more about the REN and voltage issues, which seems to me to be the next step in the troubleshooting process.

Many thanks again for your support,

Naomi

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Naomi

Thanks for the response, I explained how the line voltage can affect your line in my previous post, from the situations you've described, I don't think that's an issue here.

If we're able to rule out the handset as a potential cause of the problem, I'll be able to escalate this from our end for the line to be fully investigated. You can rule that out by trying a completely seperate handset system on your line, or your handset on another line. Do you have a corded handset handy? Long shot I know, but worth it if it saves us time in getting this resolved.

Talk soon

Craig

0 Kudos
kismet23
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK Craig - I will reconnect the old system I have just replaced and see if that works (I don't have a corded phone I'm afraid). I won't get this all sorted today; off to work now, but will get back to you once I have completed this part of the troubleshoot.

Speak soon and thanks again,

Naomi

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Naomi

Thanks again for the response, hope your shift goes well today and we're looking forward to hearing how it goesMan Happy

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos
kismet23
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig,

I just wanted to catch up with you regarding my problem with the phone (or line). Well, it was the phone and I have since exchanged the BT system for a Panasonic one. Works like a dream.

Thanks for your assistance along the way.

Best Regards x

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Excellent news, thanks for taking the time to get back to me kismet23Man Happy

You know where to find us should you need any assistance with your services moving forward.

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos