Menu
Tonylufc
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Phone line unavailable

Hi

Friends were telling me that my phone was always engaged.I had an old phone so bought a brand new one.Still the same no dial tone.Maybe I set the new phone up incorrectly so I borrowed my next door neighbour's phone who is also on virgin and not having problems. Still the same-no dial tone. When I ring my phone from my mobile it states"line busy" and ends the call.

No problems in the area.

No problems when I ran the diagnostic test.

I don't want an engineer's bill as according to the virgin test it's ok. Any suggestions please.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone line unavailable

The test only checks the exchange part of the line. Many faults with local drop lines will therefore not show up with the test. Unscrew the front plate of the master socket & you will see a test socket in one corner. Plug your phone into that. If you get a dial tone, then the master socket is at fault. If there is still no dial tone then the fault is between your drop line & the exchange. Give faults a call (or wait for a response from the forum team here) & book an appointment.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The test only checks the exchange part of the line. Many faults with local drop lines will therefore not show up with the test. Unscrew the front plate of the master socket & you will see a test socket in one corner. Plug your phone into that. If you get a dial tone, then the master socket is at fault. If there is still no dial tone then the fault is between your drop line & the exchange. Give faults a call (or wait for a response from the forum team here) & book an appointment.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Tonylufc
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

thanks for that great reply.That makes sense as I was confused that the virgin diagnostic I carried out showed no fault.

Cheers

Tony

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Tonylufc, 

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm sorry to hear that your phone line is not working at the moment, and it sure looks like you've already done enough to prove it's not your phone that is causing the fault. 

I've run some checks and can see an issue on the line that will require a technician, so I'd like to arrange this for you. 

I'll send you a private message in order to get things moving. Please look to the top right of this page where you'll see a purple envelope icon, click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once again. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Coops1956
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have what sounds like the same problem.  Everyone ringing our land line gets the engaged tone and they cannot get through to us. I've followed all on-line advice and run the tests but cannot get it to clear. It's Sunday so there is no on-line chat help so I assume I'm stuck until tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Tonylufc
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HI

I ran the virgin test which stated "no fault found",however they have been in touch and told me that they can see a fault and I need an engineer. i hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Coops1956, 

I'm truly sorry to hear that you're also having this issue with your phone line and would like to help you out. I've also done some testing on your line and can see some issues which will require a technician visit, so I'll send you a private message to get this arrange. 

Please also look to the top right of this page where you'll see the purple envelope icon, click on this to see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once more. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ThomasN
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm having similar problems. I bought a brand new telephone yesterday after using mobiles only for some time. My line seems to be completely dead. No dial tone, nothing. Any suggestions would be great.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi ThomasN

Welcome to the Community, I'm really sorry to learn about the problems with your phone line at the moment. 

I've been able to locate your account and run some tests on the line from our end, we're not detecting any problems at the moment although as you've been able to test your handset, I'd like to arrange for a member of the team to take a look.

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, you can view the message by clicking the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

Speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos