Menu
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Permanent Number Withheld / Conceal Line Identity

I understand I can dial 141 before each number I call to withhold my telephone number.  When I was with BT I had them enable the number withheld feature permanently, so I didn't have to dial this first and I only dialled 1470 before a number if I wanted my number to show.

Does Virgin Media have an option of a permanent number withheld feature? - I've asked on Live Chat but they didn't seem to know what I was asking for.

I believe I am in a Virgin 'Red' area, if that makes a difference to whether this feature is available.

Thanks in advance.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Permanent Number Withheld / Conceal Line Identity

Does this help?   http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

"Permanent Number Conceal To keep your number private every time you make a call, just ask our team to set it up for you (even if you’re ex-directory). If you do want to leave your number, dial 1470 before you make the call to override Permanent Number Conceal. If you would like any of the phone features you’ve seen in this guide, you can call us on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111* from any other phone."

So it looks like you can't set it up yourself but need to give VM a call and request it.  If you get nowhere with the offshore call centre, try giving the UK based Retentions Team a ring during normal office hours ... 150 from a VM phone, 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select the prompts   1  >  4  >  5   to 'Thinking of leaving us'

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

All Replies
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Does this help?   http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

"Permanent Number Conceal To keep your number private every time you make a call, just ask our team to set it up for you (even if you’re ex-directory). If you do want to leave your number, dial 1470 before you make the call to override Permanent Number Conceal. If you would like any of the phone features you’ve seen in this guide, you can call us on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111* from any other phone."

So it looks like you can't set it up yourself but need to give VM a call and request it.  If you get nowhere with the offshore call centre, try giving the UK based Retentions Team a ring during normal office hours ... 150 from a VM phone, 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select the prompts   1  >  4  >  5   to 'Thinking of leaving us'

Electron
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply - I will try giving them a call.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Gave them a call as suggested.  Got it sorted out quickly and easily.

Thanks again

-

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

backtothefuture wrote:

Gave them a call as suggested.  Got it sorted out quickly and easily.

Thanks again

Good to hear and you're welcome.

Electron
0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just one thing to bear in mind. If you permanently withold your number you may find your calls get rejected sometimes. Call blockers  have a setting to reject all witheld numbers, as do many phones. If you're happy with this then fine, but there's a risk you might not get through.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, no problem.  I've always got 1470 to fall back on.

Thanks

-

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

backtothefuture wrote:

Yes, no problem.  I've always got 1470 to fall back on.

Thanks

Quite right, at least you bothered to read the guide      Smiley Wink

Electron
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I always do my best to try and familiarise myself with things first  Smiley Happy

-

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Since arranging this (which is now working) my online account shows the following:

My phone extras

• Incoming Calls Only
  • Fully Itemised Billing
  • undefined
  • Virgin Phone line
  • Free Voicemail

In particular it is the 'Incoming Calls Only' option that has appeared - even though I can make outgoing calls (I've just checked).

I assume this is an error in the wording of the 'Permanent Line Conceal' and instead shows up as 'Incoming Calls Only'.  As well as the Free Caller Display being shown as 'undefined'.

I've spoken to Virgin Media (UK call centre) just now and they assure me that this must be an error on the online system.

Is this something someone from Virgin Media can escalate and get corrected ?

-

0 Kudos