Menu
rockstar0208
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No phone service

Had my new installation yesterday and engineer could not get my phone working, he just said that there is a problem but could not find what it was.

I call and they cant get an engineer out until Saturday, another day off work!!

Well we have noticed whats not been done, the cable that goes into the brown box outside has not been connected!! Is  this normal practice?

Please help I need my phone on asap.. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No phone service

Hi there rockstar0208, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm really sorry to hear that the installer was unable to get the phone line up and running for you. 

Thank you for letting me know that you've been able to arrange a technician to call out on Saturday, I do understand how inconvenient this must be, and appreciate your patience. 

Please let me know how this all goes for you. 

With regards to the cable in the brown box, when you look in there, it can seem quite daunting, as you will see some loose wires. The telephone wire has the capacity for two or three lines (depending on the wire used). When a customer only has the one telephone line, the additional wires will be used as a spare wire for the line, and will remain unconnected until a technician changes over the wires, this will also mean that work at the local cab will need to be done, to connect the other end of those wires up. If there is an issue with the wires being disconnected, then the technician who calls on Saturday will be able to get that resolved for you. 

Many thanks and apologies once again for any disruption caused.

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
rockstar0208
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I only have 2 cables coming in  one being a thick cable and I think could be the broadband!

The other is a thin cable, is this the telephone one?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi again, 

Yes you are correct, the thinner of the two cables would be the telephone wire, this cable would shield about 6 other wires of different colours, I believe the phone line only requires two of those wires. 

Hope this helps. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
rockstar0208
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi
The whole cable is not connected!!
Is that how it should be?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me on this, 

Something doesn't sound right there at all to be honest. The line would need to be connected in order to work. I'm sure that the technician who calls on Saturday will be able to clear this up for you.

Please let me know how this all goes. 

Apologies once again. 

Huw

0 Kudos
rockstar0208
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for all your replies, but that hasn't helped my problem I am still with no phone for 4 days the engineer should of made sure that my service should of been up and running the very next day, I have had one blaming the other and even calling another a lier!!!

I  really  have no faith in virgin media and don't think I will remain a loyal customer and will most certainly not recommend your service!!

Thanks for your help Not...

0 Kudos