Menu
rooker
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No line on landline

Hi, new Virgin BB and home phone customer. Purchased new cordless phone system from Costco and plugged into wall outlet (BT connection?) and there is no dial tone. Automated tech has confirmed phone line appears to be working so has scheduled a technician visit.

Do I need to plug home phone into Media Hub 3 (there are 2 phone jacks) or should I be using wall outlet? Perhaps I have the wrong phone cables or using wrong phone jack?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No line on landline

You use the wall outlet as the phone jacks on the Hub 3.0 are not currently enabled by VM (and may never be).  There should be a VM wall socket but I think sometimes VM techs use the BT internal wiring and sockets.

If you can try a different phone or your phone on somebody else's line, to rule out a fault with your new phone, then that's pretty much all you can do.  If the phone is not faulty then it usually needs a technician visit.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You use the wall outlet as the phone jacks on the Hub 3.0 are not currently enabled by VM (and may never be).  There should be a VM wall socket but I think sometimes VM techs use the BT internal wiring and sockets.

If you can try a different phone or your phone on somebody else's line, to rule out a fault with your new phone, then that's pretty much all you can do.  If the phone is not faulty then it usually needs a technician visit.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
rooker
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott, thanks for the info. I have tried both sockets in the house and used both new cordless phone and older 'wired' phone with no success. Looks like I will need the technician to visit. 

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi rooker,

Welcome to the community and thanks for stopping by and posting. I'd like to apologise for the phone line not working. I don't like to hear this especially coming from a new customer as you'd expect it to work straight from the off.

You're right too, it does sound like it's the line at fault which means an engineer visit is required. I've managed to locate your account and can see you've beaten me to it as you already have one booked.

It won't be much longer until it's all connected once and for all. Feel free to let me know how it all goes.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
rooker
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich, thanks for the welcome and note. Technician is due this morning and hopefully can get this sorted. I can update you once they are done. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon rooker,

How are things looking now? I can see from the notes they have completed the work. It would be great to know it has been fixed once and for all.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
rooker
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich, just in and yes it seems the issue is resolved. Original tech only connected broadband cable but not phone. So after a few trips to the loft and some work on the cable box my service was restored.

Tech was great, friendly, patient and it was clear he was not going until he had this fixed.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your prompt response rooker.

I don't think I've ever had someone whose cable came through the loft. No wonder it was missed then. Anyway, I'm really pleased it's all connected and working for you now.

If you ever need further help with anything then please post in the relevant board and we'll get to you as soon as possible.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
vince357
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I have the same problem with the above. My wife's contract has ended (from VM), so I applied for a new one. Broadband and TV are all working fine since connection. The only problem is the landline, no dial tone since new contract commenced. I booked an engineer for today 12-4pm but no one arrived. I've even bought a new set of telephone this afternoon (after waiting for the engineer to come but no one came) to see if there was a problem with my old phone.. It was just literally a week's gap between they cut off the old contract (ended 25th Feb'16) and the new contract connected (connected 4th March'16). 

It's been about 2 weeks now I have waited for the line to be active again. I will try and ring the costumer's service tomorrow to ask why no engineer came to visit since it was booked for today.

I am hoping someone can give a good advice.

Many thanks,

Vince

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi vince357,

Welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry that you have experienced problems with your service and that the engineer didn't show up for a scheduled appointment. 

I have been able to check on this for you and can see that there was a local fault in which all phone service was down in your area, so engineers were dispatched out and the fault is now fixed.

Apologies that you were not notified of this. We need to make sure that your account details are correct and up to date, as notification text messages are sent out in these instances.

Is your landline now working, or are you still getting no dial tone on your line?

Please let me know so that I can investigate this further if your line is still not working.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos