Menu
Scanti153
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No dial tone. No incoming or outgoing calls

I am currently experiencing multiple problems with my Virgin Media phone.

There is no dial tone and I am unable to make a call or receive a call. Until just over a week ago it was working fine.

There are no problems with wiring etc and helpdesk confirmed there was a fault on the line.

However, system is worse than useless. They can't give appointments for an engineer more than a week or so in advance (people need to work and need to give notice if they need to be off work) and rather than offer to ring back when appointments are available I have to ring back and go through the usual five minutes of pressing buttons and listening to recorded messages.

Can anyone help?

I'm sure lots of people are very happy with Virgin Media. Signing up was the biggest mistake I've made with broadband. My broadband regularly cuts out for up to a day at a time and when 'fixed' after lengthy calls to the helpdesk the speed falls to a max of 15 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload. A little ironic when I received a congratulatory message saying my line speed had been upped to 100Mb!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No dial tone. No incoming or outgoing calls

Thanks for getting back to me with your information.

You mentioned in your earlier post that the helpdesk confirmed yesterday that there was a fault on the line? When I test your line I'm unable to find any problems in the area so if there was one yesterday then your line could be back on.

We can however look at booking an engineer appointment for you but can I just confirm whether you have tested/replaced your handset to eliminate any equipment fault? 

Otherwise if you would rather wait until you get home to check for a dial tone then that's absolutely fine so please let me know what you would like to do.

Speak soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Scanti153,

Sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your landline.

I would certainly like to look into this for you but I'm just going to need to confirm a couple of details so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see another message from me requesting further information.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for getting back to me with your information.

You mentioned in your earlier post that the helpdesk confirmed yesterday that there was a fault on the line? When I test your line I'm unable to find any problems in the area so if there was one yesterday then your line could be back on.

We can however look at booking an engineer appointment for you but can I just confirm whether you have tested/replaced your handset to eliminate any equipment fault? 

Otherwise if you would rather wait until you get home to check for a dial tone then that's absolutely fine so please let me know what you would like to do.

Speak soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Scanti153
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose

Thanks very much for your reply.

Just to confirm, helpdesk call wasn't yesterday but at the end of last week. Helpdesk is rarely available when I'm in from work. One very quick test when I did get through and lady I spoke to said there was a problem and she'd need to get engineer out... but no dates at all that were suitable.

Line is still faulty. Have tried other handset and no change. No dial tone. Also checked all cable connections.

Engineer booking would be great.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me Andy,

Okay so we'll have another look for you regarding booking a technician so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see another message from me with appointment times.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos
odagiJYF
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have no dial tone on my home phone. I have check phone line, unplug and plug it back, the phone is still not working. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello odagiJYF,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Okay so what I would like to do next is to arrange for a technician to visit your property so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see another message from me with appointment times.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Scanti153
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose

VirginMedia engineer turned up early this morning... though, of course, he wasn't meant to [No idea how he was booked given that my only conversations have been to being unable to find a date on the phone or waiting for you to confirm]. I'll ignore the fact that given the shift I've just worked, Saturday morning wasn't my ideal time!

Anyway... phone line is now fixed and I have a dial tone.

Lot of interesting information from the engineer...

He said they've been called to the CA3 area (particularly my street) numerous times over the past months. I thought mine was bad... one guy's had more than 10 visits! He didn't hold out much chance of it being fixed permanently in the short term.

Broadband speed is still shocking!

So thanks for all your help. Nice to find someone at VM who can help!

I'm still desperate to leave... but at least I've now got a phone that works.

Andy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy,

Thanks for letting me know.

I booked in this morning because it was the only appointment available for a few days and I wanted to get it resolved for you as soon as possible, sorry it was inconvenient but I'm glad to hear its now been fixed.

Any further issues just get back to me Smiley Happy

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos