Menu
Glenn2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New user - how long before phone works?

Hi,

I've had the broadband active since Tuesday.  There is an NTL phone socket next to the coax socket for the Hub3.0.  I assume I plug my phone into that but there is no dial tone.

I think at some point I was told that I would get something through my door telling me what my phone number is.  That didn't happen, but I got it from the billing section of my account on the website.  If I dial this from my mobile I get the ringing tone and eventually the option of leaving a voicemail.

Am I being impatient or should it be working by now?

Edit: the diagnostics on this site tell me it's OK.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New user - how long before phone works?

The QuickInstall process has the phone line stuff dealt with a couple of days or so before arrival of hub/etc. Since you say your line is dead and when ringing the number assigned to your account leads it to ringing, I'd be concerned about the fact it sounds like the phone line install was bodged, with your line being putting into the wrong point in the cabinet.

Is there only one phone socket in the home? I ask because I've read cases where engineers in the past have wrongly re-wired BT socket's to be the point a customer's VM phone line comes through.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Glenn2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

This was a self install as the property has had Virgin services before.  They just sent me the hub, I plugged it in and off I went.  I've never seen an engineer.

The cable socket is labelled Cable & Wireless and the phone socket is labelled NTL.

There is a BT socket at the other end of the flat, labelled OpenReach, but that is just as dead.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well that's ruled out, so it back to the phone line install part an engineer does before the quick start date that wasn't done right. This is an easy fix for an engineer, they just have to re-arrange the cabling in the local cab a bit.

You can wait for a response from a member of the favicon.png Forum Team here (up to three days wait.) Or ring 0345 454 1111 from any phone and report a phone fault. Or even get get assistance about it via the Webchat. That page needs to be accessed via a laptop or desktop ideally, between 8AM to 8PM M-Sa. Go with the choices of Phone -> No dial tone. In there you can choose to chat online to an agent (if all agents are busy, reload the page every 3 minutes and check again.) There's also an email support option there too. Whichever way you prefer to get the support, you'll get the required support.

Edit: Fixed URL - paste board hadn't cleared.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Glenn2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Great - thank you so much.  I'll probably see if the broadband stabilises first - I've had two good days and one bad day so far.  If it stays bad I'll just cancel and go BT, and I don't want it fixed after I've cancelled!

Thanks again.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Glenn2

Thanks for joining us and welcome Smiley Happy

I appreciate you getting in touch about the phone activation and my apologies this didn't run smoothly for you Smiley Sad

Could you let us know if this is now working? The line looks active when I've checked it and if this is not the case then we do need to get the Quickstart teams to get an engineer out to resolve this for you.

You can contact them on 0800 953 9500 if you still need their support.

Keep us posted and we'll help out further if you need us.

Take care.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Glenn2
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No the line is still dead. Tbh I only signed up for phone too as it was cheaper than just broadband (on uSwitch).
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry that your line still isn't working. 

I can arrange an engineer visit for this, but I'll need to take further details from you first. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos