Menu
matthewsinclair
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New to the UK and new to Virgin Media, how do I find out my landline phone number?

Hi there,

I'm new to the UK (from Australia) and also new to Virgin Media. A self-install pack was delivered to me last week, and broadband and TV are working great, but I can't get the phone line to work. I get a dial tone, but every number I enter gives me the same message: "The number you have dialled has not been recognised". I am not sure what I am doing wrong. 

I also don't know how to find out my landline phone number. I must be missing somewhere obvious, but I can't find it written down anywhere on the package, and I can't seem to see what it is from the MyVirginMedia dashboard. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Regards,

M@

0 Kudos
matthewsinclair
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New to the UK and new to Virgin Media, how do I find out my landline phone number?

Ok, I've managed to find my phone number. It was on one of my bills, just not in the dashboard anywhere. 

But I still can't make calls, and when I make a call to the landline number, it just rings out. So whatever socket my phone is plugged into at home is obviously not connected to the Virgin account.

Hmm ... 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New to the UK and new to Virgin Media, how do I find out my landline phone number?

do you know the original install included a phone line - the TV and BB come into the house via a different cable to the phone - whilst the phone cable will be there - its one half of the shotgun cable between the cabinet and the omnibox on the front of the building  - it

a - may never have been connected

b - may have been disconnected when whoever was there before you gave notice to VM - thats assuming i am reading the situation correctly

c- it could have just been disconnected at the cabinet to give the line to another user 

you can check inside the phone box in the house to check the wiring - there should be 2 wires connected of a few - 4 or 6 maybe - they should go to connectors 2 and 5 of a 6 block connector - if that looks ok then further checking needs to be done - that i guess will need a tech visit 

Tony
0 Kudos
matthewsinclair
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I rang Virgin and they sent a guy out on Monday. He fixed it in no time. The problem was that the phone line had never been connected, even tho there was a previous Virgin Media connection to the house. Anyway, it's all fixed and working now. Thanks. 

0 Kudos