Menu
P222MLA
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New number inundated with calls

The new landline number given to me when I signed up to Virgin media is actually not new at all. I have been lead to believe this is a recycled number and if I wish to change it I need to pay £25.

Virgin Media recycles old numbers and say that 6 months they believe is an adequate time to wait before recycling a number. I could maybe understand that if it were a personal number you gave me however you have actually provided me with a business number for a medical centre so you can imagine how often I am getting calls....yet I need to pay to change my number! And what about all these patients who can no longer get through to their surgery when they need to.

I called about this and was going to cancel my contract but was palmed off and passed through to a number where I was on hold for 30 minutes before I decided to hang up. The girl spoke over me and told me I couldn't make a complaint about this and what she was telling me was final.....like I said before, its a business number - not a normal circumstance of a home phone number being recycled.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New number inundated with calls

There are no special number ranges offered to businesses. Numbers can be used for either business or residential (in fact ours was an ex business number when we were allocated it several years ago). The "churn" period for recycling a number can be anything from 3 months to 1 year, & is dependant on 2 factors: 1) The size of the number block allocation the provider has in that particular STD code area, & 2) the demand for numbers in that area. The smaller the allocation &/or high demand leads to shorter "churn" times.

If you get a lot of nuisance calls VM can change numbers Free of Charge, but there is no guarantee the same thing wont happen again with the replacement number.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
P222MLA
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I've been told I'll need to pay £25 to have it changed. Any suggestions on who I go to in order to get it changed free of charge?
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

P222MLA wrote:
Thanks, I've been told I'll need to pay £25 to have it changed. Any suggestions on who I go to in order to get it changed free of charge?

You could try talking to the UK based Retentions Team during normal office hours, they may be sympathetic.  150 from a VM phone or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select the prompts  1  >  4  >  5  to 'Thinking of leaving us'.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos