Menu
hackneydave
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

New Phone Service - High Quality but No Extensions

Can anyone help with connecting existing extension wiring to the Virgin service? The quality of the new Virgin landline is very good but VM engineers have not completed the promised work to connect the internal extensions; this leaves us with a new phone line in our spare room but no service to other floors where we make / receive our landline calls.  The extension network was working perfectly well with BT; why can't VM use the same wiring connecting the extension wiring to their socket?  I just phoned VM support and they want an additional £99 on top of £99 already charged for the first visit. Isn't there an engineer at VM who can connect extension landlines? Very disappointing! Will be forced to port the service over to another provider if VM are unable to complete. How can this be resolved?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regares,

David Smith | Blueyonder pioneer (2001) | Mac OS X Sierra, WIndows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, iOS and Android | Internal Distro via Ethernet Cat 6, 5 Ghz 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Phone Service - High Quality but No Extensions

Its a question of ownership. VM did not install your existing extension wiring, so they are not responsible for its serviceability, hence the £99 charge for a non-fault callout. The responsibility falls on you, unless you get them in to replace the extensions & wiring with their own (which would then come under the fault repair agreement with the rest of the wiring VM has installed). This is no different to any other telephone providers.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
hackneydave
Dialled in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Misleading Postings Here About Connecting Existing Extension Network

Thank you for the clarification. Private telecoms engineer to inspect and connect existing extensions today. I wish this would have been made clear at the outset before we switched to VM telephone service, and especially before the first engineer call-out. I am not inclined to pay all call-out charge for an engineer's time to tell me that he/she can't connect the extensions because of VM ownership policy. 

I have read messages on this forum stating that VM could connect an existing internal extension system wired with another telecoms provider to its own network upon installation. If indeed a question of installation and ownership, then this sort of informal add on service should not be allowed; it's misleading to publish in this forum that connection to existing internal extensions are possible yet not making that available to all customers.

Has anyone reading this post had their existing internal extension network connected by VM engineers to the VM master socket?

David Smith | Blueyonder pioneer (2001) | Mac OS X Sierra, WIndows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, iOS and Android | Internal Distro via Ethernet Cat 6, 5 Ghz 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos