Menu
Kris60
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Lost old phone number

Transferred our landline from BT and TV from sky last Friday, I asked weeks ago when setting up this new contract to transfer our old number ,told not a problem , wasn't transferred last Friday given temporary number ,told it should happen over next days didn't, now the BT account is closed last Tuesday ,told it can't be transferred, starting to regret going to virgin
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost old phone number

Did you cancel services with BT directly or was this done as part of the transfer process ?

Normally BT would port the number over and close the account at the same time - after they have received the transfer request from Virgin Media.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I was just about to post the same thing.

If the BT account is closing as part of a number port request it should stay active until such time as the number port completes.

If there was any issue for VM to port the number (due to a changed install date for instance) then the BT line would just keep running until the issue was resolved.

With the BT account closing even though the number hasn't moved over, it sounds like a separate disconnection request was given to BT - which means Virgin Media couldn't request the number transfer anyway. Port requests aren't accepted where a disconnection request is in progress.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Kris60
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We cancelled it directly not knowing any better. But the installation was last Friday
Giving vm till Tuesday to request number which they didn't....
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate you may not have seen my last post, but just to confirm Virgin Media cannot request a number port from a closing account.

The existing telephone line account must be active with no closure request in order to Virgin Media to request and port the number.

This applies to all telephone providers, it's not specific to Virgin Media.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Kris60
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah now we know this , pitty VM doesn't
Let new customers know what to do or what not
To do when transferring accounts
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I presume it is all down to who you speak to when you sign up.  The person I spoke to ran through all this with me.  The person you spoke to was obviously not as methodical.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Kris60
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah never explained to me , but just got
A phone call from VM , now saying it should happen now over the next 9 days , I'll keep you posted
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Please do keep us updated - Hopefully they will be able to sort this out for you.

-

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Kris60 wrote:
Yeah now we know this , pitty VM doesn't
Let new customers know what to do or what not
To do when transferring accounts

A lot of telcos don't, although it is clearly stated as correct procedure in OFCOM's advice to people switching landline provider.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos