Menu
lins1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Landline removal

We do not use our landline at all. Is it possible to remove it and reduce our bill? I did ask a few months ago and was told having just tv and broadband would bump the bill up to 50 a month . I currently pay 32.99 for m tv and phone plus fibre 20. Any suggestions to get the bill down gratefully received.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Alfabiker
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Landline removal

I'll be interested to hear about this - I am thinking of moving my landline number to a hosting service (virtual landline) so as to keep the incoming number but have calls forwarded to our mobiles, which would be much cheaper than paying monthly landline rental.  (Incidentally I wonder why Virgin don't offer a service like this themselves?)

We seem to be on  a similar deal to you, which has gone up significantly in recent months, but I was persuaded to pay the line rental for 12 months in advance last December to save money(!) so I'm tied in till December this year.

However Virgin do seem to offer a similar deal without a landline to new users, which is about £30.00 per month, so presumably they couldn't refuse to simply remove the landline and its charge from our bundles at the end of the current contract period?

There can't be any technical objection because the landline is a separate POTS (i.e plain old copper wire) nothing to do with the high speed fibre broadband connection.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi lins1

Our services usually work better together so you get the full benefit of the bundle discount although you are more than welcome to remove the phone service from your accountMan Happy

I'd recommend giving our team a call on 150 from any Virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other so we can clear security and discuss this with your fully.

I hope this helps

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
lins1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

But will I save money or will my bill go up?

0 Kudos
Alfabiker
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'll be interested to hear about this - I am thinking of moving my landline number to a hosting service (virtual landline) so as to keep the incoming number but have calls forwarded to our mobiles, which would be much cheaper than paying monthly landline rental.  (Incidentally I wonder why Virgin don't offer a service like this themselves?)

We seem to be on  a similar deal to you, which has gone up significantly in recent months, but I was persuaded to pay the line rental for 12 months in advance last December to save money(!) so I'm tied in till December this year.

However Virgin do seem to offer a similar deal without a landline to new users, which is about £30.00 per month, so presumably they couldn't refuse to simply remove the landline and its charge from our bundles at the end of the current contract period?

There can't be any technical objection because the landline is a separate POTS (i.e plain old copper wire) nothing to do with the high speed fibre broadband connection.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey lins1

It's hard to say about the bill without clearing security and speaking with you about your account although usually, the bundle discount is enough to ensure that you'd be saving money by having the landline.

The best way to get a straight answer, is to give our team a call on 150 from any Virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Alfabiker
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Lins1!

I think the bottom line is that they don't really want to give you just broadband and TV service.  They do offer the highspeed broadband only deal (50Mbps) for £30.00 per month. If you have a good Freeview signal you could then buy yourself a good PVR with Freeview Play which would probably do what you want for TV, if you don't need lots of premium channels.  I don't think they could refuse to downgrade your service especially if you said you were going to leave.

But if you want broadband and TV (no phone) Virgin will probably quote a price which is about £20.00 per month more, i.e. equates to the cost of the landline rental.  That's what they mean really when they talk about the "bundle discount".

Interestingly it looks as though there is a basic BT package (50Mbps) totalling about £30.00 per month, which includes broadband and phoneline, but not terrestrial TV (not that I would mention it here of course)!  I suggest you point this out to Virgin if you phone them ...

lins1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. 50+ was the price quoted to me before if I wanted just tv and broadband. I will try again soon and let you know how I get on.

SlySven
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought though - without a Land-line number it can be harder for the Emergency services to locate where you are if you dial 112 (or 999). I guess there are some systems in place for mobile telephones but if you only have a VOIP system it can be an issue if you need to call for assistance if your Internet system (router et al.) is off-line... Smiley Sad

==========================================================================
If MS Windows is the answer then you may not be asking the right question.
0 Kudos
Alfabiker
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes - you do have a point about the emergency services, which might be a reason for opting for the £30.00 BT broadband+phone option, and sorting out the TV separately as I suggested above, if the object is to save money overall.

However, there are in fact lots of people who don't bother to have a landline at all nowadays. They can use their mobiles very effectively for emergency calls using the near-universal 112 system - if they know how - see for instance: http://www.dsrtashburton.org.uk/hill-safety/emergency/999sms/ which also explains how to register for the SMS service on 112.

This is useful information for everyone actually, because we might not be sitting next to our landline phone when the house catches fire!

I'd be a bit surprised, given the known facts about our "surveillance society", if the emergency services can't locate you pretty quickly from your mobile phone call, without you even saying anything.   But of course it is probably an excellent idea to register the phone for the SMS service and have a template of a default emergency message (e.g including your home address) ready for instant use, because an SMS message often has much more chance of getting through the system when the signal is weak/network is busy.  This also avoids having to spell out your address over the phone, in a difficult or noisy situation - and of course you can't send an SMS with your landline.

0 Kudos
Gingeronstun
Settling in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Craig_D, can you explain exactly how your services work better together? I'm struggling to understand why our TV and/or broadband services would work less well without a land line.

0 Kudos