Menu
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Landline not working

My landline stopped working a few days ago - no dial tone.  Also when someone phones me it goes straight to the voicemail.  (This also happened a month ago.) It seems that the diagnostic test at https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/perform-diagnostic no longer is there.

Anyway, I reported the fault and was due to have an engineer today.  However since I cannot guarantee that I will be in I have had to cancel.

Is it possible for an engineer to check outside without access to the house.  It will be apparent when it is working since the phone will no longer go to voicemail.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline not working

HI nolly1953

I'm sorry for the problems you're experiencing with your home phone recently, we're not able to organise an appointment for the engineers to only check the line externally so ideally, we'd love to arrange for an appointment when you're availableMan Happy

If you'd like me to get this set up, just let me know.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Craig.

I have phoned to arrange for an engineer to call on Monday.

A few things...

• I phoned 150 twice today to set this up.  I gave up on the first call.  The second call - it took 22mins before I spoke to someone and a further 10 minutes before the visit was organised.  This is extremely unsatisfactory.  I presume that Virginmedia know how long it is taking for calls to be answered and should do something about it.
  • The music while I was waiting was frankly awful - a minor point I know.
  • The online phone line diagnostic still does not work.  I complained about this last month when my phone line went down.  It hangs at 99%.  If it does not work, why not remove it?  This represents a further waste of time.
  • This is the second time within a month that my phone landline has been out of order for days at a time.  I suspect that once again it is due to an engineer messing about in a box down the street.  Again unacceptable.
  • I don't see why an engineer cannot check the line without someone in the house, particularly when the fault is usually due to factors outside the home.  As I said before, at the moment the phone automatically goes to voicemail when receiving an incoming call, so it is possible to check the line from outside the house.  I resent having to make arrangements to wait in the house for 4 hours unnecessarily.

I really don't like to rant, but I am paying quite a lot for a service that is simply unacceptable.

nolly1953

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi nolly1953

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me about this, I'm glad to hear that an appointment has been arranged. 

As for the points you've made, I'm very sorry that you've had such a hard time getting through to the team and for the music while waiting. The online testing facility is still active, I'd recommend accessing it from your account or from [this link] instead of the one you've mentioned. 

I'm sorry again for the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service and can assure you it's something we want resolved, permanently too. 

We'd love to hear how it goes

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Craig,

Thanks for the reply.

The diagnostic is working now - the link that you gave eventually links back to the one I posted.  Along with other recent posters priesto, Sally6, Kenny3636 and miss piggy, I found that the diagnostic hangs at 99% which is totally useless.

Also the above + A1Thomas and brooksco agree with me that the long wait time for someone in support to answer is unacceptable.

I would be grateful if you would pass these complaints up the line.

Thanks,

nolly1953

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI nolly1953

Thanks again for your response, we're always looking to ways to improve the service and appreciate the time you've taken to let us know how you feel.

We'd love to hear how things go and will be here should you need any assistance moving forward.

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos