Menu
DanJ1989
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Landline not working since installation

Changed over from Talktalk to Virgin in November. Had no landline usage since. Calls can't come in or go out. When I phone the landline from my mobile it says that it's a virgin phone so it has changed but can't use it at all. Thanks in advance for any help.
0 Kudos
JakePasquill
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline not working since installation

Have you tried calling VM about this? Call 0345 454 1111 from your mobile (It's free) and speak to them, they may know why it isn't working, or at least be able to troubleshoot it with you/book an engineer if it's faulty.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the possible faults of a landline, so I can't be any more help than this!

---------

I'll always try my best to help, although my advice may not always lead to a solution. Take it as you wish, I just like to help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

First of all the obvious question, though some people do forget to do this. Make sure you are plugged into the Virgin master socket & not the old BT socket TalkTalk used to use. If you are plugged into the correct socket & get no dial tone, assuming the phone itself is not at fault, then either ring faults (150 from Virgin Mobile or 0345 454 1111 from other operators), or the Forum Team here will pick this up for you in a day or so.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there DanJ1989, 

Firstly I'm really sorry to hear that your phone line has not worked since installation, and I'd also like to welcome you to the forums. 

The advice that nodrogd has given is spot on, you'd be surprised how often this happens. 

I've done some testing on the line, and can see no reason why you should be experiencing an issue with the line. There are no local issues and I'm not seeing any shorts on the line at all. 

If you are able to confirm that the correct phone socket is being used, then we'd need to look into booking a technician to call out and investigate further. 

I'll send you a private message in order to get things moving once you can confirm that you are plugged into the Virgin Media phone socket. Please look to the top right of this page where you'll see a purple envelope icon, click on that and you'll see my message.

Many thanks and apologies again. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
DanJ1989
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The only phone socket I have in the house is the one that doesn't work :/ Dunno if I'm being really stupid and missing something. Just had a quick look at the hub and couldn't see one on there.
0 Kudos
JakePasquill
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't mean to seem stupid here, but isn't there a phone socket on the back of the router? Isn't that where the line plugs in?

---------

I'll always try my best to help, although my advice may not always lead to a solution. Take it as you wish, I just like to help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for the quick reply, you should have at least another socket in the property, as Talk Talk would've come down a totally different line. It could well be that a socket wasn't installed, this will need to be sorted. 

A friend of mine lives in a quite new building, where he has sockets throughout the house, these are just extensions on a master socket which is installed in an utility cupboard. This is the same place where his electric and gas meter are. He has both a BT and Virgin Media socket in this cupboard, however the extensions are only connected to one - in his case it's the Virgin Media socket. 

If you are in a new build, then it could be worth checking near the meters just in case. Should you still not find a socket, please reply back to my private message and I'll arrange for someone to call out and check things over for you. 

Jake, Whilst it's correct that some of our modems do have a phone port on them, these are not in use at the moment, and all telephones will only connect to our network via a dedicated phone socket in the property. 

Cheers

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
JakePasquill
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ah thanks for that, I did wonder what they were doing there! Smiley Happy

---------

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

JakePasquill wrote:
I don't mean to seem stupid here, but isn't there a phone socket on the back of the router? Isn't that where the line plugs in?

Nope. Not on Virgin routers as they are cable DSL & only connect to the coax part of the network. If the OP does not have a Virgin master phone socket connected to Virgin's Omni-box on his outside wall, he will need one installed.

If Virgin go down the route of IP phones in future, they will connect to a Superhub via the Ethernet connections.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile