Menu
nbubba
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Land line rings, won't connect

Currently, if someone phones our house then the phone will ring but on picking up the phone it just appears to keep ringing (there's crackling on the land line handset and the ringing can be heard quietly down the line); from the calling phone's perspective it just sounds as if the phone hasn't been picked up at all. It's also not possible to phone out; the dial tones are sent but then there's just crackling to be heard.

The assumption was that our old phones were past it as they'd been temperamental so we bought a new phone and handsets only to discover the problem's still there. We've also tried the base unit connected to the alternate socket with the same result so the problem doesn't appear to be limited to a single socket or the phone. Online status check has shown nothing detected so is this a case for an engineer or is there anything else we can try before venturing down that road?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Land line rings, won't connect

Hi nbubba,

Welcome to the Community Forum, I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing a problem with your landline. Thank you for letting us know that you have tested an alternative handset.

I will need to take more information in order to arrange an engineer appointment for you so that we can get this fixed for you. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the purple envelope at the top right of this page. 

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Wrush
Just joined
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same problem, started around the 20th june.

Im in south herts and wondered you location, as these faults seem to common and i am researching it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
nbubba
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hampshire in this instance. More specifically, Portsmouth.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wrush,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your landline.

I have checked this for you and can see that this fault was resolved by one of our engineers already. 

Please let us know if we can help further.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
sweetda
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just had this happen to me (two calls plus check) having been signed up to Virgin all of one week - and most of that trying to get faults resolved.

To be specific, the phone rings and when I pick up I hear only crackles. When trying from my mobile, the ring tone continues to sound. Moreover, if I hang up the landline while the call is still open from the caller's end, the phone rings again (with same result of course).

I've checked all the connections in the house and it happens with all the handsets.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi sweetda,

Welcome to the Community Forum, I'm sorry that you have been having problems with your landline. 

Checking into this further for you, I can see that you called in over the weekend and an engineer appointment has already been arranged for you.

Please let us know how this goes for you.

Take care,

0 Kudos
nbubba
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just to update: this issue has been resolved. The problem was a corroded jumper wire at the cabinet in the street that has now been replaced. Also got a quick check-over of all other connections and had an attenuator swapped out as well, so good service from the engineers.

0 Kudos
sweetda
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Engineer called this afternoon and identified the problem - like for Shubba (post 8) a bad connection where the cable emerges from the ground. Since that cable was only attached less than two weeks ago I suspect someone is not doing good work (to say the least).

I hope I do not come across as vindictive if I point out that this, and other experiences since transferring from BT, means that it will be some time before I feel able to recommend switching to Virgin. Hopefully, teething problems will now subside and I will be convinced that this service is the answer to all my prayers.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi nbubba,

Thank you for getting back to us to let us know how your engineer appointment went. I'm glad to hear that the problem has been identified and fixed and that our engineer was also able to identify an issue with the attenuator.

Please let us know if you need further help with your service.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos