daytona71
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Land line down for 2 weeks and now probably for another 6 weeks

Account number *********

Area reference 12

February 09, 2017

I wish to complain over the telephone service you currently supply to me at B5 7UB as part of my media package.

My telephone line went dead on January 26, 2017 and is still out 2 weeks later.

Two Virgin engineers have attended so far; first on 1st February and second on 7th February.

On each occasion I had to wait nearly a week after contacting your office before an engineer could call.

The second engineer told me there was a cable fault and a new one would have to be laid.

He gave me a date of March 26th which is 6½ weeks away.

If this is accurate I will have been without my land line (for which I am paying) for more than 8 weeks.

Logically I can’t understand why my internet and television are operating when the phone is out for which your engineer says new cable is required. Surely a dud cable would affect all of them.

This is simply an unacceptable situation and I want to know what Virgin media will do about it.

My wife has to be in regular contact with the hospital which has her land line number. She does have a mobile phone which is ‘pay as you go’ but is not really suitable for the purpose. She has already missed some calls as the hospital got the engaged signal.

I have raised this situation on your website contact page a few days ago but have not had the courtesy of a reply.

Will your company please rectify the fault without any further delay.

Please reply to this email which you have on my records.

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Land line down for 2 weeks and now probably for another 6 weeks

a couple maybe more points 

if it is not too late you need to remove the account number and post code

VM will get to the thread to reply but that can take a week or more

the cable for the land line is part of a dual cable so its entirely possible to have good BB and TV and a faulty phone

VM have a scheme for quicker response if you are classed as vulnerable - cannot remember how that works you have to register

will try and get someone here sooner than the week its taking - not sure what if anything anyone can do to speed up the repair

Tony
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

daytona71 wrote:

Logically I can’t understand why my internet and television are operating when the phone is out for which your engineer says new cable is required. Surely a dud cable would affect all of them.

Actually the VM cable is 2 separate cables joined together.  In cross-section it looks like the VirginMedia 'infinity' logo.  The fatter cable is the multi-shielded coax that carries your broadband and TV signals.  The thinner cable contains the twisted pairs of wires that supply the phone service.  So it's perfectly possible for the phone cable to fail but the main cable to continue working as in this case.

I imagine though that they will have to repull a complete double cable from the street cabinet to your property.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

a couple maybe more points 

if it is not too late you need to remove the account number and post code

VM will get to the thread to reply but that can take a week or more

the cable for the land line is part of a dual cable so its entirely possible to have good BB and TV and a faulty phone

VM have a scheme for quicker response if you are classed as vulnerable - cannot remember how that works you have to register

will try and get someone here sooner than the week its taking - not sure what if anything anyone can do to speed up the repair

Tony
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

daytona71 wrote:

Actually the VM cable is 2 separate cables joined together.  In cross-section it looks like the VirginMedia 'infinity' logo.  The fatter cable is the multi-shielded coax that carries your broadband and TV signals.  The thinner cable contains the twisted pairs of wires that supply the phone service.  So it's perfectly possible for the phone cable to fail but the main cable to continue working as in this case.

I imagine though that they will have to repull a complete double cable from the street cabinet to your property.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
daytona71
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave.

That answers that point.

Both engineers said they are (and have been) inundated with callouts and customers are suffering as not enough staff to deal with it.

I also heard Virgin were doing an upgrade which may temporarily affect some of the services. If so, it sounds as if they have hit problems as a result.

The prospect of waiting 8 weeks (??) for a fix is ridiculous and no guarantee even then.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi daytona71,

I'm very sorry for the fault experienced.

I've located your account and can see the cable repull scheduled in for the date mentioned.

I've had a look to see if there is any earlier availability within our quota and unfortunately you're booked in for the earliest appointment at the moment.

I've sent you a private message so that we can talk about this some more.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos