Menu
StripeyMiata
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just signed up, can't get Virgin phone due to lack of copper, does that mean I have FTTH?

Virgin cabled my street back in the summer, but was in contract with another provider so only had a salesman around today to sign up.

I signed up for the 200MBs service, but when I asked about the home phone number transfer he said that the couldn't do phone lines in my area.  This actually isn't a big deal as I just assumed the phone line was part of the package, quite happy to dump the landline now as I never use it.

Just curious why though, the Virgin website mentions that in my area there is no copper lines for phone support, bearing in mind my street was cabled for the first time last summer so it's new cable, does this mean I am getting FTTH instead of FTTC? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Just signed up, can't get Virgin phone due to lack of copper, does that mean I have FTTH?

Yes, you will be in a FTTH area, not that it makes a difference with Docsis

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Just signed up, can't get Virgin phone due to lack of copper, does that mean I have FTTH?

Yes, you will be in a FTTH area, not that it makes a difference with Docsis

StripeyMiata
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect I probably won't be better off from someone still on FTTC because of DOCSIS but was curious from a geeky point of view.  Although one advantage is I guess I am pretty good support wise for big speed bumps in the future?

Edit, would this be an option for me as the wife would prefer to keep the landline number - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/virgin-media-begins-deployment-voip-phone-alongside-bro...

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If its enabled in your area this would be perfect
StripeyMiata
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well I have created another post to see if I can, be interesting to see the reply. I'm in Northern Ireland BTW.
0 Kudos