Menu
davlaw2000
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just moved house. Can't make calls. Don't know my phone number.

Hello I think this is one only VM themselves can answer. I have just moved house and signed up for TV, Phone and Broadband. I got the TV and Broadband working pretty easily. I found the main phone socket on the front room wall and can see the phone cable going into the house just the other side. I plugged my phone in and got a dial tone but can't make any outgoing calls. Furthermore I don't know the phone number I have been allocated. I did ask to transfer my number from my previous property, and was told I would be given a temporary number until the transfer can be completed. 

Can anyone at VM help me to get a working phone line, and tell me what number I have been allocated?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just moved house. Can't make calls. Don't know my phone number.

So you have a dial tone.  Dialling 174 will provide an automated voice that will tell what number your line is currently attached to.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
davlaw2000
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Actually I think I have worked it out. The socket I have plugged my phone into is labelled 'BT'. Looking at the installation instructions VM only provide a phone service via their own sockets. I guess the previous owner of the house I just bought (who is deceased so I can't ask them) got a BT line put in. I found a really old socket labelled NYNEX (the cable company down this way that VM took over) but it's dead. I'll call VM and ask them to come and install a new master socket. I guess I'll have to pay for that..... 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi davlaw2000

Welcome to the Community, I'm very sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your phone service recently.

I've located your account to take a look at this and can see that action has been made for the team to take a closer look at this, we'd love to hear how that goes.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused, we'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide