Menu
GoldenZombie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is there a regular "pulse" on the line?

I have more than one telephone in the house in different rooms. The one on my desk in the study is a replica old fashioned one with a bell rather than an electronic ring tone but otherwise a normal modern instrument inside the casing. I switched to Virgin a couple of months ago since when the study phone emits at irregular intervals a single "ting" of the bell. None of the other phones are affected. I cannot switch the bell off and it does become slightly irritating if I am at the desk for any length of time. Does the Virgin phone line send pulses along the line that would cause this? I am slightly bemused otherwise. The phone works normally.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is there a regular "pulse" on the line?

Hi GoldenZombie

I'm sorry to learn about this inconvenience, our lines are always connected so signals are constantly sent back and forth but nothing which should cause a single, intermittent ring on your end!

How often does this happen? Are there are any devices plugged into the same electrical socket as the phone? 

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
GoldenZombie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

The sound is irregular. I have tried timing the pause between them but the lapse between them varies, usually around 20-30 minutes, sometimes longer. It is as if the 'phone is about to ring but doesn't, just a single soft "ting". This only started after we had the Virgin 'phone line installed and I have had that particular 'phone from new for about 4 years. I suppose in the grand scheme of things it is no real drama, but slightly irritating when I am sitting in the study for any length of time. The other 'phones in the house, which don't have a bell inside them but modern ring tones don't suffer from whatever is causing this. The study 'phone is not connected to an electrical socket, just a telephone socket and is not paired with anything else. It works normally for both incoming and outgoing calls. I am intrigued rather than annoyed. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi GoldenZombie

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, I can understand it's only really a minor inconvenience but it's definitely an interesting oneMan Happy

Would you be able to swap the handsets temporarily? To check if you hear the noise in another phone socket.  Is the phone socket in the study your master socket or an extension? 

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos