Menu
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent dial tone after engineer visit

So a few weeks ago i come home to 2 virgin media workers pulling all of the wires out of the green box next to my house, thinking nothing off it a few weeks have gone by and i decide to make a phone call off the house phone which i very rarely use, guess what, no dial tone anymore, cant ring out, cant recieve calls although when people ring me, they get the calling tones but my phone doesnt ring.

So i phone virgin and they send out an engineer who visits while i'm at work, when i get home the misses says hes been and gone and its fixed, so i pick up the phone and what do i get......an intermittent dial tone 3 beep type dial tones followed by a very short pause and this keeps repeating. The phone works fine, i can call out and people can call be but what is this beeping? i have no answer phone set up with virgin by the way.

Also all other services work fine, internet and TV

0 Kudos
Andrew-H
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent dial tone after engineer visit

You may have a voicemail message waiting. Dial 1571 to check.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to completely ignore my advice. The above message may contain sarcasm (if you can't find it, you're not looking hard enough)
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just a remote possibility ... do you have a burglar alarm that makes use of the telephone line to automatically call out if triggered.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As I said, Iv never had virgin voice mail set up, and if i ring it now, it just gives me the option to set it up for the first time, so can't be that. As for the alarm, nope, no alarm wired to phone line.
0 Kudos
Andrew-H
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Anything else on the phone line? Call divert or call blocking can give an intermittent dial tone when active.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to completely ignore my advice. The above message may contain sarcasm (if you can't find it, you're not looking hard enough)
0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No nothing, everything was before the initial problem

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi azzer2000,

Really sorry to hear that this is causing you bother. :/

It's worth reaching the end of the message when dialling 1571 to see if anything more is advised.

Let me know how you get on with this,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos