Menu
Shez879
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Dial Tone

Recently my Virgin Phone line has had an intermittent dial tone.  It's as if there is a message waiting but when I dial 1571, there is no message.  I have seen on the forums that for some exchanges in the Midlands it's like this but I am not in the Midlands.  Moreover, this problem started after there was a message waiting and it's been like this ever since.

I have also tested the intermittent tones becoming faster or something when there is a message waiting (called my landline from my mobile and left a message) but this doesn't happen.

This is very frustrating. Why can't we have a normal dial tone???

Can this be fixed please? Calls to 150 have not been productive.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Dial Tone

Hi there Shez879, 

I'm really sorry to learn that you've been experiencing an intermittent dial tone recently and would like to help you out. 

On some exchanges the intermittent dial tone can indicate a number of things - the most common would be voicemail, but it certainly sounds like you've eliminated this from being the cause. Normally if you call the number and leave a test voicemail, and then listen to the voicemail before deleting this will reset the notification flag on the line. Though it does sound like you've already tried this. 

Other features which may cause an intermittent dial tone, would be things like Call Barring or Call Divert, the dial tone is intermittent to let you know that it's active. 

I've tried to locate your account to get to the bottome of this, however I was unable to find anything using your forum credentials. I've sent you a private message in order to ask a few questions which will allow me to locate your account. Should you wish for me to look into things further, please reply to the message and I'll run the appropriate tests.

Please look to the top right of this page and you'll see a purple envelope icon, click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once again. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ChrisH2
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I had this problem a year ago and this fix worked. It's just happened again but I'd forgotten the procedure! However, there were added problems. Just in case anyone else has this set up, here's the  problem I encountered tying to solve this issue.

I have a phone with an answerphone in the base unit, switched to ON. This is plugged into the main (incoming) Virgin socket. Upstairs, I have another (different model) phone with an answerphone in the base unit, but it's wired directly into the back of the main socket (by the Virgin engineer, not me!).

For reasons unknown,the downstairs phone hasn't picked up messages ever since this arrangement was set up.When I tried to record a message, it only recorded on the upstairs phone, and never on the Virgin answerphone sevice. I came to the conclusion (after switching the phones around) that the upstairs phone picks up the message before the downstairs answerphone kicks in, and either of them kick in before the Virgin answerphone kicks in.

In the end, I turned the upstairs answerphone to OFF, unplugged the downstairs phone, and recorded a message. Bingo, the Virgin answerphone kicked in. Left a message, played it back and deleted it. No more intermittent Dial tone.

I don't know why the intermittent tone appeared but, coincidentally, we received a call a couple of days ago which I took just after the answerphone had kicked in, which continued to record the conversation. This effectively filled the available space on the answerphone and disconnected. Just a theory.

0 Kudos
catherine77
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have the same issue.  I have tried the leaving a message and deleating it and I have called 150 who confirmed there are messages.  Any ideas how to resolve.

Thanks 

Catherine

0 Kudos