Menu
KevPerkins43
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am trying to connect a new phone (Panasonic KX-TGC210) to my Virgin Media router. CABLE?

The cord that comes with the phone has a 4 Wire BT Plug to RJ11 cord. The connection points on the Virgin Media box are not compatible. So...I went out and purchased a regular phone cord (Cable ADSL) but this doesn't work. The phone has no dialing tone. Calls cannot be made or received.
phonecord_panasonicKXTGC210.jpg
Please tell me....is there some kind of special cable I need? Is there an adapter that will go from a RJ11 plug to the Virgin Media socket on the router?

Please help. I need  my landline to be working ASAP.

Thanks

Kevin Perkins
Comedian, Professional Speaker, Cancer Survivor
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am trying to connect a new phone (Panasonic KX-TGC210) to my Virgin Media router. CABLE?

VM's master phone sockets take standard BT plugs. RJ11 is used across the pond. 

You will need one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/telephone-to-rj11-adapter-rz79l

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

KevPerkins43
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am trying to connect a new phone (Panasonic KX-TGC210) to my Virgin Media router. CABLE?

Thanks

Kevin Perkins
Comedian, Professional Speaker, Cancer Survivor
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi KevPerkins43,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting in the ForumSmiley Happy Sorry to hear you are having problems connecting up your Panasonic KX-TGC210.  

Just a few questions: Are you connecting your phone into your router? Have you tried to connect the phone into the Virgin Media phone socket? When connecting into the Virgin Media phone socket, do you get a dial tone and are you able to use your phone service? I've had a look at this phone online and it doesn't look like it's an internet phone (doesn't show that it supports Voice Over Internet Protocol), so if you are connecting this to your Virgin Media SuperHub 2 AC, it isn't going work.

Please let me know how you are connecting the phone up so we can get to the bottom of this problem for you.

Kind regards.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Chris-Carson
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same problem as Kevin Perkins. I love answering darn fool silly questions that have obvious answers in the affirmative. 

Are you connecting your phone into your router?.............Yes.

Have you tried to connect the phone into the Virgin Media phone socket?..............Yes. 

When connecting into the Virgin Media phone socket, do you get a dial tone and are you able to use your phone service?.......................Yes.

It doesn't work when I plug an RJ11 cable into the router, which is the only phone connection socket on the router, and necessitated buying a cable. The same problem that was listed in the first place.  If it's designed to be used in the North American market and will not work here in the UK without an adapter, surely someone at Virgin Media might have had the sense to mention that minor, although important, fact. 

Hopefully the reply listed above suggesting the adapter, will work. 

Something that Virgin Media should have thought of. 

0 Kudos
Chris-Carson
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok, it seems there's more to this than meets the eye. 

I went to Maplins and bought the adapter at an extortionate £8.99 when they're 99p on ebay and it still didn't work. It was then that I looked further and realised what Terri_P was saying. 

If your phone does not support VOIP then it's not going to work with the Super-Hub modem. Not many plug into the wall socket phones do, so the phone connection on the back of the hub is a complete red herring and an utter waste of time trying to get it to work. 

So Terri_P thank you for pointing that out, although it was not all that apparent on first reading. A little better wording perhaps? 

0 Kudos
Chris-Carson
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I wanted to leave a footnote here in the hope someone at VM might pick up on it and take notice. Unlikely I know, but worth a try anyway. I never ever use my VM landline, simply because the wall socket is in the wrong place. It's by the front door just where I don't want it. I had hoped to solve the problem by installing a DECT phone, but that creates it's own set of problems. The handset has to be returned to the base for charging. Or if it's not on the base it's found it's way to somewhere else in the house and is often lost for weeks. It ended up to be such a pain, it was abandoned as a useful entity years ago, and never gets used.

However, the phone socket in the superhub solves that problem. It puts the phone on my desk, exactly where I want it. When I first saw it, I thought wonderful, now I can start using the phone again. But alas, it was not to be. I cannot, even after so much determination, get it working. Much to the detriment of VM I'm sure. Especially when they see my lack of phone billing they're being deprived of.

As an aside here and completely off topic, although something I've wanted to say for many years....VM periodically send me offers in a bid to entice me to take up their Mobile service with a phone number to call to take up the offer. Three times I've called the number and each and every time I've been connected to someone in India who hadn't got a clue what I was talking about when I said I wanted to take up the Mobile Phone offer. When it became apparent I was going to have to explain everything in triplicate, and because it was such hard work, I gave up each time and hung up. The last time the guy called me back complaining that I'd been rude hanging up and started shouting at me. Not to be put off I decided to call into one of VM's stores. The guy in the store told me to go home and give them a call. So that went nowhere. After that I gave up altogether and did change my mobile service supplier, but not to Virgin. Too much trouble to contemplate again. Life's far too short for such complications.
0 Kudos