Menu
martyp
Superfast
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to extend number of rings to voicemail

Hi all,

My phone seems to ring and within seconds it's through to voicemail and I never get to answer it before it happens. I have googled how to extend the number of rings/time to voicemail and there are two articles I found:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3701&CURRENT_C...

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1003&secureFlag=false&CUSTOM...

I don't know which one to follow, the self service one would be preferred if it works...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to extend number of rings to voicemail

Hello martyp,

Welcome to the community.

I have located your account and the voicemail looks like it has been set up correctly so I just want to confirm whether you have another answer machine built into the telephone? If you ring your line and leave a message are they being picked up when you dial 1571?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose,
If I call the phone it goes through to virginmedia voicemail. All the messages I get are on there and none on the actual handset answer machine now. I set the handset answering machine to ring about 8 times before going to voicemail.
I struggle to get to the phone before voicemail kicks in every time. When I call 1571 the person gas left me a message. It does seem to only ring two or three times.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me with this information.

I would recommend switching off your own answer machine if you wish to use the 1571 feature instead as they will conflict with each other. The rings that have been set up for Virgin are fine so this shouldn't be the cause of why it goes to voicemail so quickly.

Is your phone ringing just the once when someone calls you? There could be a blocked line are you able to call out?

If you haven't already tried this could you unplug everything from the sockets and try to ring your number again? This way you will know whether it's the telephone blocking the line.

Speak soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose, I'm out at the moment. You're more than welcome to try the line from there (you don't need to leave a voicemail). It won't make any sound anyway as it only makes an audible ring for numbers in the contacts. All other calls I don't know about. I don't tend to make any outbound calls on it other than to 150 or freephone numbers. I get calls from family generally.
The built in answer machine never kicks in now but I can turn it off completely and test again.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's no problem I just gave your line a test call and it seems to be fine, it rang about 8-9 times before going to voicemail but I would like to know whether you could hear it ringing your end so once you have time please test it again and let me know.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose,

I've just done a few tests. The ring tone on the home phone isn't a convential sound, it's a musical tone so can't count the number of rings really. I did call from my mobile and it seems to do 6 full rings before going to voicemail. From the time that the house phone starts to ring to the time that the calling phone goes through to the voicemail is about 14-16 seconds.

I also checked and the answer machine on the phone is actually off already. I also tried unplugging the phone and it rings through to voicemail after about the same number of rings.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me martyp,

Okay so from what you've said there I would recommend changing your phones ringing tone to a normal one, is this possible? Or do you have a separate handset to try? It sounds like the amount of rings it's set to before going to voicemail is fine but for some reason the phone isn't doing the same so it could be something to do with the ringtone.

Speak soon Smiley Happy

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos