Menu
sarahlw13
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How to escalate a complaint

I have signed up for, and am now being billed for, the Broadband, TV and phone package.  I took a day off work for my installation today.  The engineer who came informed me during the installation that there was no capacity to offer me a telephone line in this area, so he could not install one today.  He expected that I would have been notified already by VM.

I spent over 45 minutes on the phone to VM -- first customer services, then installation, then billing, trying to determine:  

• Why was I not informed, either at the time of sign up, or in advance of my confirmed installation date, that the service I have agreed to is not available?
  • When will I get the phone service VM have contracted to provide?
  • Who can effectively discuss and resolve my questions (nobody on the phone today had the scope to do anything beyond note my concern and apologise for the inconvenience)
  • What compensation (beyond an apology) will I receive for the (a) lack of notice, (b) lack of service, (c) lack of complaint handling today, (d) break in telephone service between providers, given inability to reconnect today (d) need to take a second day off work for a future installation

It is not a reasonable or acceptable practice to sell a service you cannot provide, book an installation you cannot complete, and fail to provide an active channel through which to resolve these issues

How can this be escalated to an individual able to provide answers and take actions?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to escalate a complaint

Good morning sarahlw13

I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with us about the capacity issues that are affecting you as a new customer with us and understand that this has not been the best experience for you Smiley Sad

I' would like to take this opportunity to thank you for joining us on the forums and welcome you to the community.

In answer to your questions above, the system we use checks capacity issues at point of Sale and whilst this is generally right, it is not infallible. My apologies that the issue was not picked up when this was arranged with you.

I can see you have spoken to our complaints team regarding this and they have put in place a temporary resolution to the charges for a line we cannot connect and the package whilst the line is not yet operational. The capacity team are aware that you need a line and they will be working to get this resolved either with planned maintenance to upgrade the cabinet, or by assigning spare line cards to the phone for you as and when they become free as a result of attrition.

The teams have your details and will contact you if this is the case to arrange the phone-line connection at a future point with us.

Please keep in touch with us if there is anything else you need us to support you with.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
sarahlw13
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Dear Karen

Your email makes it look as though a satisfactory resolution has been applied.  This is not the case.

I spent a further hour on the telephone with your customer services team earlier this week.  Although the individuals involved have been as helpful as they can be, there is a systemic failure here.  So far, after more than 100 minutes on the phone (mobile) to 6 representatives, I have learned

1. You sold me a phone line.  You cannot install one because you have no capacity.  You do not know when you will have capacity.  That will require either that a customer within the same cabinet (a few local streets) gives up their service, or your infrastructure improvement programme reaches my area and increases the capacity of the cabinet.  You cannot say whether either of these will happen in the coming days, weeks, months, or even years. 

2. You cannot tell me what individual or systemic failure has led to your selling me a phone line when you cannot provide one.  So you cannot offer any reassurance that it wouldn't happen again to me, or to anyone else.  

3. Since you have sold me a package of TV, Broadband, and telephone, for which the "price discount" comes from the telephone, you will be charging me a higher price for TV and Broadband only, than the package price I signed up for including telephone.  The compensation  I have been offered is that I will be charged only the package price -- i.e. the price of all three services, while I will only be getting two of them.  

4. There has been an additional offer -- that I will may two months of service(s) for free, or can cancel my service(s) without any charge.  Two months of service(s) for free is the only genuine compensation -- but it may not bring with it a phone line in that period, and certainly doesn't compensate for the misleading original sale and installation, the need to take additional time off work to deal with any future installation, the telephone calls I have had to make, and the prospect of needing to involve another supplier if I want a telephone

5. I will not hear anything more by way of resolution, until such time as a phone line becomes available (could be tomorrow, could be 3 years from now)

So I would not say that a resolution is in place, or in fact that you have done anything to support me.  I shall escalate my complaint to Ofcom.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi sarahlw13

I appreciate your feedback in relation to your complaint and my response. My intention was to summarise the course of actions that had taken place between your first post here and my reply to you, not to infer you were satisfied with the way the complaint is currently being handled. My apologies if this was the way it has come across to you.

Once a complaint is in process the team will handle this for you, and should be there for you until a satisfactory resolution has been reached.

I will update the complaint you have raised with us in relation to this experience with the above so the teams are aware of this.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos