Menu
StripeyMiata
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do you sign up to Virgins new VOIP service?

This one - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/virgin-media-begins-deployment-voip-phone-alongside-bro...

My street was recently cabled so I have FTTH it seems and can't get a Virgin phone line over copper.  So I was wondering if this might be an alternative.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do you sign up to Virgins new VOIP service?

AFAIK there are trials with VOIP in project lightning (FTTP) area's.

But the only way you ll know if it is available to YOU , is to attempt a sign up and see if they offer it, as its not in ALL FTTP areas

Remember you'll need a back up line (mobile, alternate landline etc) as when power goes down, VOIP goes down.

StripeyMiata
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

Wasn't aware it was still on trial, only signed up yesterday and salesman didn't mention it, but he may not have known about it if it's a trial not in my area,

I think what I will do is wait until my installation next week and ask the engineer directly about it. He'll probably know more about it than anyone.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Okay Im going to have to pick at this particular scab a bit...

Assuming you are signed up for install, and nothings been mentioned to you about VOIP, have you signed up for a phone package? Its just that if you are in a FTTP area (project lightning) there's ONLY VOIP (on trial) , no option for copper. So you SHOULD have been made aware of that at the point of sale.

Not being awkward, just dont want you to be messed about...

StripeyMiata
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies,

Thanks for your concern.  What actually happened is that I signed up for the The Full House bundle which is currently priced at £55 a month introductory.  However I am paying £36 a month as they can't put a phone line in, so I am saving £19 a month so happy enough. This will go up in 12 months though.

I was just looking at my alternatives, to be honest I would dump the landline totally but we have some elderly (one is 102) relatives who dislike phoning mobiles.  If I can use Virgin's VOIP service and port my number in that would be ideal and I wouldn't have to keep my BT Line.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So reading between the lines you are in an existing infrastructure area- so VOIP wont be an option from VM at the minute. That may well change, so keep an eye on the news section of the site.

At least your sorted reference price in the meantime.

0 Kudos
OldieDi
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We got caught the same way, signing up for a bundle and then learning that there would be no phone line so the price doubled.  Then a neighbour responded to the same "Leave Sky and come to us" personal letter I'd received, despite Virgin knowing full well that they can't supply!   Mis-selling?  We have fibre to the box very nearby and I love the internet speeds, but lack of a phone involves VERY expensive phone calls if I need to contact Virgin about anything as I left the phone line with Sky and they charge the earth for non-geo numbers.  Depending on the cost of VOIP I'd be happy to sign up, otherwise we will soon be mobiles only, and they won't be Virgin mobiles.

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @StripeyMiata

When there's a phone service available in your area, we'll be in touch.

Thanks for your patience.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
OldieDi
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I decided to change from Sky and signed up for the £50 (now £55) for 1st year bundle and men arrived to install broadband and TV - great but they said someone else would do the phone.  Then I found that no-one was coming because there is no spare capacity in our box - no lines available now ....or ever?  

Next I received a note saying that as I didn't have the £50 bundle I would have to pay for the 2 services - £106 per month.  I called to explain that I wouldn't and now have credits and loyalty payments bringing the charge down to £50 plus a payment of £100 in lieu of the phone.  This pays the first 5 months of my SkyTalk contract.  

In a couple of months that runs out and if Virgin haven't rung to tell me that a line has become available or VOIP is available then I will be asking for more credits of £140 to pay Skytalk for the rest of my 12 month Virgin contract (not that Sky fulfilled the contract) and at the end of the year maybe I will be going back to Sky.  

0 Kudos