Menu
pbryanw
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How do I port BT number across to Virgin

Hi,

I made an order with Virgin Media about a week ago, for 100Mbps broadband & Anytime calls.

When I made the order (which was made through my local Virgin store) I was told that my BT number would be ported across.

I had my Virgin installation today, and the installer gave me a temporary number and told me to contact Virgin on 150 a few days before my BT contract runs out (on the 2nd March), to get my BT number ported across.

I'm just wondering if I can port the number across sooner than this, or will I have to wait until my BT contract is nearly up? Also, is the porting process free?

Many thanks, Paul

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How do I port BT number across to Virgin

pbryanw wrote:
@nodrogd - Hi, many thanks for your help & advice.

When I said my BT contract is running out, I meant that I've cancelled the account already (due to the BT April price rises) and have until the 2nd March, which is when my BT services get cut-off.

Will this have an effect on the porting process, or does your advice to wait until the contract ends, still stand?

Thanks again, Paul

Yes. If you have cancelled this effectively ends your control of the number & it can no longer be ported. I would get in touch with BT straight away before you lose it.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The porting process is free.

When you are out of the contract period ring Virgin & they will make the necessary arrangements to port your BT number & close your BT account. Under no circumstances cancel your BT account yourself or you will prevent the port from taking place.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

pbryanw
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When I said my BT contract is running out, I meant that I've cancelled the account already (due to the BT April price rises) and have until the 2nd March, which is when my BT services get cut-off.

Will this have an effect on the porting process, or does your advice to wait until the contract ends, still stand?

Thanks again, Paul
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

pbryanw wrote:

Thanks again, Paul

Yes. If you have cancelled this effectively ends your control of the number & it can no longer be ported. I would get in touch with BT straight away before you lose it.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

pbryanw
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd - Hi got in touch with BT and they said they hadn't received a porting request from Virgin, and then advised me to phone Virgin.

So, phoned Virgin, and they took my porting request and said it would done by around the 13th February (for this free service).

So, hopefully that's this issue sorted out, and I was very impressed by the support staff I spoke to at both BT & Virgin.

And thanks for your help with this.

Paul

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul

Nodrogds advice is spot on here, if you encounter any problems with the port come the 13th, get in touch here and I'll take a closer look at your account.

Apologies again for the inconvenience you've experienced so far, we're looking forward to having you join usMan Happy

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

pbryanw
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just wanted to say that the number port completed successfully today, and my BT number is now with Virgin.

Thanks again, Paul
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul

Excellent news, thank you for taking the time to let us know about this. 

We'll be here should you need any assistance with your services moving forward.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide