Menu
danswan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Horrible experience with Virgin

I've been with Virgin/Telewest on and off for about 20 years, and have always been pretty happy with the service I got. That's changed recently, and I want to have a moan, as well as pose a couple of questions which seem impossible to answer on the phone to support. 

I recently moved house, and called to move my Phone Broadband and TV package with me. When we moved, we got the new equipment and everything was fine, except we had no phone line - there was a socket but no dial tone.

We waited patiently for a week or so before contacting support, and I was told I just needed to wait a little while. OK. 

After approximately 3 weeks I called again, and got a similar story. It was a frustrating experience with the outsourced customer support centre, as a lot of repeating myself and asking them to check notes was required before they seemed to understand my problem.  I got a similar story, but was also informed we'd need an engineer visit to set up the phone. Fair enough, but all this time we were having to rely on mobiles and, having just moved house, were spending a lot of time on the phone and costs were mounting up.

The next week and still nothing, still racking up bills on our mobiles, my calls to support became more frequent. I noticed a common and extremely frustrating pattern of me carefully and thoroughly explaining the problem (we have no phone line, when can I expect it please?) before being told 'Oh yes sir we an certainly look at that for you. Have you tried another handset?' Every. Time. I. called. Please, take a minute to read the history on the account. 

An engineer visited, and we were informed that there was no capacity for a phone line, but a new line would be added somehow, they couldn't guarantee when though. We began to discuss alternatives, however I subsequently received a text message from Virgin saying 'Hi Virgin Media Here. We can provide you with a telephone line please contact us on 03453451111 to arrange a date'. Great, except when I called this number it was disconnected. A bit like me. 

Screenshot_20160622-090843.png

So I called standard support again, and again. I was told an engineer would be out again to fit my new phone line, but they never came. After losing patience and being finally put though to someone who could understand what I was talking about, I discovered that no, there was still no capacity, nor would there be imminently. 

My beef is not so much that a phone line cannot be provided, it is that I have spent a month and a half repeatedly trying to explain something which has already been explained again and again, to be lied to repeatedly by people who seem to have no desire to actually help me, they just want me off the phone. All this time myself and my family have been racking up costs on our mobile phones, when if we had been told the truth as soon as it became evident I could have already arranged a phone line by now. 

Anyway, that's the background, by questions are:

- Will there be any problem cancelling the phone part of my packages, but keeping the other services?

- I'm going to try a VOIP provider, but want to take my Virgin number with me, which came from my old address but has never been used at my new address. Is there anything I need to know about this, i.e. is there likely to be any issues, or is it going to be a straightforward procedure? My main motivation with this is to avoid calling support at all costs, lovely people I'm sure, but unable to provide any useful assistance of any kind and an enormous waste of my time. 

Thanks for reading, if you got this far. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Horrible experience with Virgin

danswan wrote:

I've been with Virgin/Telewest on and off for about 20 years, and have always been pretty happy with the service I got. That's changed recently, and I want to have a moan, as well as pose a couple of questions which seem impossible to answer on the phone to support. 

Thanks for reading, if you got this far. 

I did. First the answers, then the empathy

1. Yes you can port a PSTN number to VOIP with most VOIP providers.

2. Its pretty straightforward AS LONG AS YOUR NUMBER IS STILL ACTIVE ON THE PSTN NETWORK AND IS NOT IN THE PROCESS OF PORTING ALREADY.

So it likely depends on where VM are with the port process- good news is that's your VOIP providers problem.

Do you still have a port code?

If so, I would chance just contacting your chosen provider and explaining the situation to them, and pass them the port code.

If you want to check where VM are with the process, I would be going through to onshore support, "thinking of leaving us" option on the menu, if you get offshore, hang up and redial.

You are not the first to point out off shore are simply NOT equipped to answer most even slightly complicated questions. In the absence of an escalation system, you now have the work around.

danswan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. It's always nice to know it's not just me. 

I don't have a port code - presumably I need to ask Virgin for one? I'm a little worried that my number is no longer active as it hasn't been used since 13th May. Will it remain active indefinitely or will it disappear at some point?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Depends on the point in the process. If VM have started the port across its liable to be more difficult than if they havent.

I know when we got the install done we got a temporary number, then our old one was ported after a few days.

If that's still the case, its likely to be simple. In a supplier lead system, the receiving provider should be contacting the losing supplier and organizing that, so its worth pushing the issue onto your chosen VOIP provider