Menu
StephenWest
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Home phone number transfer - how long?

I recently changed to Virgin from Sky. When I signed up I requested that the telephone number I had with Sky be transferred. When the engineer arrived to do the install, i checked that this would happen, but he discovered it was not on the order. So he called up and made the request right there and then. When I cancelled the service with Sky I also reiterated the request to transfer the number.

The Virgin phone service went live yesterday, but with a different number. I initiated a chat conversation with a customer service rep who was very unhelpful, simply saying over and over that it was not possible to transfer the number, and then ending the chat abruptly.

I then called customer service on 150, and was transferred about four or five times between various departments, spending nearly an hour on the phone, until, after being put on hold, the call was disconnected.

Is it normal for there to be a delay in number transfer, or does this mean the transfer has gone wrong?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone number transfer - how long?

You mentioning cancelling your deal with Sky ("When I cancelled the service with Sky <SNIP>"), that's not something that should be done if you want to port the number. The service has to be active with no disconnection mark pending against it for the number to be ported. By virtue of the number porting, the landline service with Sky would automatically be canceled as part of the process, the customer shouldn't do anything in that regards. Leave it to VM.

If you hadn't cancelled with Sky, then 7 to 10 days after the services went live, a temporary assigned number would be replaced with the ported number.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi StephenWest

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're experiencing with your line at the moment.

I've been able to locate your account to take a closer look at this and can see you've been able to speak with our team. As Shelke has mentioned, we'd need the line to be active to be able to port the number in so if it had been cancelled, it's unlikely we'll be able to bring the number in.

We'll be here if there's anything we're able to assist with moving forward.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

StephenWest
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks. When I mentioned cancelling with Sky I meant the cancellation of the entire package (phone, TV and broadband) and so, since I made it clear that I wanted the number transferred, I presume that they did not actually cancel the phone, and simply waited for the port request. Is there any way to find out if such a request was made, and what the response was? And if Sky actually did cancel, what would have happened to the number?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

StephenWest wrote:

Ok thanks. When I mentioned cancelling with Sky I meant the cancellation of the entire package (phone, TV and broadband) and so, since I made it clear that I wanted the number transferred, I presume that they did not actually cancel the phone, and simply waited for the port request. Is there any way to find out if such a request was made, and what the response was? And if Sky actually did cancel, what would have happened to the number?

Check with Sky in that case for definite details, but the norm is to give the number port request to the ISP you're going to and don't do any cancelling at all until the number port is complete. If canceled it would go into the pool of numbers they have available for new Sky customers in your area.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
StephenWest
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok contacted Sky, they say they are waiting for Virgin to contact them about the transfer but nothing yet. Although the rep did say he could detect some promising activity between Virgin and BT (this was on Monday 28th). But still no change, not got my number back yet.

Phoned BT and they said the number I have now is a business number, perhaps because it's a temp Virgin one? Anyway BT said I need to contact Openreach but that seems impossible to do as an end user. 

Can someone in Virgin contact Openreach and find out what's happened to my number?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello StephenWest,

I have located your account and I can see you've spoken to numerous people about this so I'm just going to pop you a private message as I just need to confirm a few more details regarding the telephone number.

If you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see a message waiting for you with further information.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide