Menu
AndyW22
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Home Phone Line not working - appalling customer service

This is the first time I have registered on any Forum. Quite what I expect to happen with this post I am not sure - that's assuming that VirginMedia actually show it.

I noticed last week that our home phone line was working. We were (& still are!) unable to get dial tone and make calls. If someone calls us the phone will ring but when answered it is just noise on the line. I know that the handset is fine as I tried it on my home office line (which fortunately is not Virgin). The online status check said that the phone appeared to be working which clearly isn't the case.

The only option left was to place a call with the VirginMedia support line. After my first attempt where I was told I was in a queue with a wait time of 1 min but was actually kept waiting for over 15 mins before the line was disconnected (having incurred costs on my mobile phone), I tried again (Thur 1/9). After a wait for around 30 mins I was successful in being connected to Harry. I explained the problem I was having and that I had already proven the handset was working. He then proceeded to run some tests and reported back to me that according to the results the line was working. Clearly that wasn't the case. He next told me that he would need to arrange for an engineer to visit – apparently the earliest appointment is 16th Sept – 15 days away!! I told Harry this was not acceptable and agreed. He then assured me that he would escalate the issue with one of his managers and that I would get a call from a manger the very next day (Fri 2/9). To be honest I think I would have been more surprised if I had received that call but as expected there was no call.

So here I am, still without a working phone line and getting pretty cheesed off (even more so when I consider that I pay in excess of £80 per month for my VirginMedia service). I’d be interested in knowing if other customers have experience similar issues or if anyone knows of a way of getting this resolved quickly. I am just about to call the support line again (once I have made a cuppa for the wait I no doubt will experience in the queuing system).

Should anyone from Virgin Media be reading this and actually consider that customer service is important I would appreciate a call back please. The work order number is 70814510, I’d also like to log a formal complaint about the abysmal service I have experienced.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Phone Line not working - appalling customer service

Hi AndyW22,

Welcome to the Community Forum. Apologies that you have experienced difficulties getting your landline fault resolved. 

I can see that a formal complaint has been escalated to a manager, who spoke to you about this last night and was able to make a change in your appointment date.

I have also checked to see if we have had any cancellations so that we can bring your appointment forward again, but there is no earlier availability.

Your complaint is still open and the manager you have been in contact with is monitoring this and will be back in touch to verify the fault has been resolved.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this causes.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
rose05
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I am in exactly the same position. Away for weekend, came back to phone not working. Actually told to ask neighbour to borrow phone to test line!!! Unable to make or receive calls although phone rings. Someone , who hasn't got my mobile is trying very hard to contact me today. Reported Monday and told earliest date for repair, their fault, will be Wednesday. Only been with Virgin 2 months but wish we had stayed with Sky Talk as their phone service was almost immediate.

No one to report anything to, fed up talking to computer for ages before speak to a human being, then turns out to be on other side of the world.

Customer service is appalling. I could almost see the girl shrug her shoulders when telling me I had to wait 9 days for repair.

0 Kudos
AndyW22
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose05

Sorry to hear that you are having problems too. I hope that you manage to get the issue resolved quicker than VirginMedia have advised.

After posting on this forum on Monday I contacted customer services again. I was told that an engineer could now visit on 12/9, which though being an improvement on 16/9 is still in my opinion not an acceptable wait. I asked to be put through to a Supervisor and explained that I wished to make a complaint about the service. The Supervisor was apologetic and told me that she didn't know why it wasn't possible to get an earlier appointment. She acknowledged that it should not be acceptable for this length of outage and suggested that we book the appointment for 12/9 and that she would contact an Area Manager to escalate the issue. She also told me that she was not in the next day (6/9) but would phone me on my mobile on Wed 7/9.

I haven't received the call (or voicemail) which I was promised! I have now made arrangements to be at home on 12/9 so really hope that the engineer does attend.

Previously I have been with BT and though admittedly they are by no means perfect I did find that when it comes to problems with phone lines/voice calls that they were very responsive and were able to resolve these types of issue in a matter of several days at most. They also seemed to be be able to divert my calls to another phone number whilst the service was out of action. I asked Virgin Media to do this and was told by the Supervisor that it was not possible - apparently it is only possible to set up call divert using the phone (which is not a lot of good since it isn't working!!). 

My personal opinion is that (possibly like all these type of companies) they don't look after existing customers but are really only interested in getting new customers. I'm sure that they consider most customers just cannot be bothered to go through the hassle of changing, and to a point they are probably right. I have decided that I am going to investigate the options of changing my TV,Broadband and Phone to Sky or BT - not only in respect to this poor experience but also to the cost of the service. There look to be much better deals out there than I have with VirginMedia. 

0 Kudos