Menu
DP4
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I get calls from 0800 408 9340 and 0800 408 9430, which are believed to be from Virgin Media

Hello, I get many calls from 0800 408 9340 and 0800 408 9430 which are believed to be from Virgin Media. I am a senior citizen and do not answer calls from unrecognised numbers. Sales people should realise that there are customers who feel frightened and harassed by unsolicited calls. I am registered with TPS, but who cares in telesales?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hello, I get calls from 0800 408 9340 and 0800 408 9430, which are believed to be from Virgin Media

Take your courage in both hands and phone VM on 150 to opt out of marketing calls.

Unless you do this they will continue because under your terms of service with VM they are allowed to make these calls unless you opt out. TPS won't stop them because of this.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
DP4
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hello, I get calls from 0800 408 9340 and 0800 408 9430, which are believed to be from Virgin Media

Thank you very much HowardML. I should be grateful for clarifications on the applicability or otherwise of TPS registration in the context of a supplier and a customer. 

As far as I am aware, TPS website does not say that a company can claim exemption because an individual is their customer. I quote from TPS website  " A call is considered to fall within the TPS remit if it is unsolicited, relates to the sale or marketing of a product or service during a live telephone conversation". 

Telephone calls can be perceived by the old and vulnerable as undue and unwelcome pressure. Such calls can cause increase in blood pressure and palpitations. Not good if one has heart problems.

That is the reason TPS preference exists and responsible companies should abide by such TPS preference by a customer regardless of what the small print may say in the service contract.  Supply companies do have customer details to send service promotions and other offers through post or even through email. I believe that a TPS registration over rides any previous service agreement for unsolicited marketing calls. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have nothing further to offer you except for the advice I have given. If you want the calls to stop from VM you will have to phone and opt out. If you want to discuss issues about TPS then contact TPS. I was trying to give you helpful advice not enter into a debate. And I know all about older people and their fears. I am one myself - certainly getting that way. Please also note that like you I am a user not a VM employee.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
DP4
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hello, I get calls from 0800 408 9340 and 0800 408 9430, which are believed to be from Virgin...

Hi DP4,

Welcome to the Virgin Media Community Forum and thanks for your post. I apologise that you are receiving unwanted marketing calls from us.

There are two ways we can get this sorted out for you: 

1. As HowardML advised, you can call in and speak to Customer Care on 150 from a Virgin Media landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other line. 

2. I will send you a private message requesting further details so we can get this changed for you. Please click the red envelope in the upper left side of this page to retrieve this message.

Kind regards.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

DP4
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hello, I get calls from 0800 408 9340 and 0800 408 9430, which are believed to be from Virgin...

Many thanks. Greatly relieved.

0 Kudos
Glf1
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just received a call from 0800 408 9340 wanting access to my Virgin Media account. Interestingly on my O2 mobile. Sounded like an Asian lady who couldn't pronounce my name correctly. I always hang up if they don't know who I am.  On checking found it's clearly a scam, tried to report it to Virgin Media via their web site which insisted on repeatedly wanted to confirm I'm not a robot even when repeatedly giving the correct answers (I'm not!). Gave up and phoned the local police on 101 who said there is nothing they can do except stay vigilant. Wonder why Virgin Media don't seem interested in allowing customers an easy way to report scam calls in their name? Do they read this forum?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Glf1

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum community.

I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch about the nusiance calls you've received on the 19th Nov.  I have checked into your account and that does seem to tally with a marketing call we made to you. 

If you do not wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, I can assist you in how to get this updated on your account.  I'll drop a private message to you with more information on this which you can find in the blue envelope next to your forum name.

As a general rule with most companies you can register with both the Telephone Preference Service here and Silent Calls Gard here, both of which are free to register and would help eliminate these kinds of calls form coming through to you.

As this appears to be a call directly originating from us, it would be great if you could get back to me on the pm I'm sending so I can look at this further for you.

If you need anything else, just let us know

Speak soon

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Glf1
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply Karen, I won't bother you with my negative views on the call itself, which appeared to be from a foreign call centre which probably explains why they don't know me. I tried to opt out of marketing calls on 150 but there is no clear option to do this. Must be hidden away somewhere to prevent customers using it perhaps?  Something you may wish to look into. Please arrange to remove VM contacting me for marketing purposes from my account.

thank you.

0 Kudos