Menu
A_Ash
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does Virgin still support pulse dialing in London?

Does anybody know if Virgin still supports pulse dialing in London (N17 to be precise)? I am keen to get an old rotary dial phone but understand from a bit of googling that pulse dialing is no longer supported by some providers in some parts of the country. All these threads are a bit old though- does anybody have any up to date information?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Does Virgin still support pulse dialing in London?

you can buy a device that connects inline with a rotary phone that will covert to tone and also allow you to use the full features 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi A_Ash,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. It's great to see new faces here.

I've got some good news--go ahead and get your old rotary phone because it will work on your Virgin Media line. 

I do need to make sure that you are aware that if you need to go through any IVR system--for example, you need to call in to us here at Virgin Media--your rotary phone won't work. It also won't work with other call features on your line like voicemail. But if you have a tone dial phone spare or connected to a different phone socket there's no worries.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you can buy a device that connects inline with a rotary phone that will covert to tone and also allow you to use the full features 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
A_Ash
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've been a bit slow to respond but I finally got round to buying an old rotary dial phone and I can't dial out on it after all. I can dial into the phone and I've managed to dial out (to a landline at least) using a tone generator on my smartphone, so I'm pretty sure it's not the phone that's faulty.

Could it be that I need to request having pulse dialing switched on in my area?

Thanks,

Alice

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alice,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry to hear that your rotary phone won't dial out.

There isn't anything that we can change on the line to enable this--pulse dialling should work on the Virgin Media line.

I'll need to take more information on this problem so that we can see what's causing the issue:

• Does a tone dialling phone work alright on your landline (able to make and receive calls)?
  • Does the rotary phone work on a different landline (a neighbour or friend's line)?

Please let me know.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
A_Ash
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri,

This thread is pretty old now but this issue is still unresolved. I took your advice and can now confirm the following:

• A tone dialling phone works fine on my landline, for making and receiving calls.
  • My rotary phone works fine (I took it to a family member's house and successfully made and received calls on it using their landline).

Any advice on what can be done to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Alice

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

We're unable to make any adjustments with the landline at present.  Although you can try pulse handsets on our line we can't guarantee that it will function 100% correct inline with more modern handsets.  

It may be that you need to look at the suggestion Tidus suggested here: Re: Does Virgin still support pulse dialing in London?.

Let me know how you get on.

Collette,

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos