Menu
stevenjonas
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Disconecting Internal Sockets

I have a Virgin land line. At the point where it arrives at the house there are several wires leading to internal telephone sockets around the house. I am decorating a room & I have decided that I no longer need that extension. Is there any reason why I cannot simply cut the wire & remove the socket?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Disconecting Internal Sockets

Hi stevenjonas,

Thank you for getting back to us. Apologies for any confusion with this.

From what you are describing, yes, cutting the extension wire could cause a problem. If all your sockets are wired into the main cable, then cutting one of them could cause interference or noise on the line. 

If you would like to arrange for the socket to be removed by one of our engineers, please give us a call on 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline & Virgin Media mobile) or 0345 454 1111 (from any other phone), or contact us via WebChat on Contact Us to discuss this further.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevejonas

Welcome to the Community, we ask that you don't interfere with the master Virgin telephone socket in the house but the internal extensions are yours to do as you wish with, as they were very likely there before the service was installedMan Happy

I hope this helps

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
stevenjonas
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Craig,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

The complication is that all telephone sockets in my house are master sockets. Your workmen helpfully connected wires from each socket to the junction box outside the house. This seems to me to mean that I can disconect any one without affecting any of the others. Do you agree?

0 Kudos
stevenjonas
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I should add that I do not have a Virgin socket.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi stevenjonas,

Thanks for your reply.

I just wanted to pop by as Craig is not in today, I hope you don't mind me stepping in to help out Smiley Happy

The Master sockets will have the company logo on it where as additional extension sockets are smaller and plain with no logo.

The only time there would be more than one Master Socket by the same company is if the a customer had subscribed to more than 1 Landline at the same time. 

I would only disconnect wiring from any additional sockets that are small and don't have any logo's on them.

You mention you don't have a Virgin Media Socket, is there one with either Telewest or NTL logo on it?  Keep me posted, I'm here to help if you need me.

Collette. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stevenjonas
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Collette,
Apologies for not making myself clear: I have NO sockets with any logos on, be they Virgin, Telewest, NTL or anything else. I have several sockets, all of which are wired to the little junction box outside the front door. I think that makes all of them master sockets. The question is whether I can cut the wires leading to one of those sockets?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi stevenjonas,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

The main socket that leads to the outside will be the master socket.  Anything attached that is smaller in size will be extension sockets.  You can only have 1 master socket per Landline, anything else attached will be extension sockets.

It is unusual for the master socket to not have a logo on it but if it's bigger than the others then this is what makes it different from the others.  

I hope that clarifies a little better.  If you wish to cut any cabling from the extensions sockets, that is fine as they are yours.  Only the master socket is what we ask you not to touch.

I hope that's ok Smiley Happy  If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stevenjonas
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Collette, No, that's not OK. as I indicated earlier, all the leads from all the sockets all lead to the outside junction box. All sockets are the same size & none have any logos on them. I want to cut the cable to one of them. Is thaat likely to cause a problem?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi stevenjonas,

Thank you for getting back to us. Apologies for any confusion with this.

From what you are describing, yes, cutting the extension wire could cause a problem. If all your sockets are wired into the main cable, then cutting one of them could cause interference or noise on the line. 

If you would like to arrange for the socket to be removed by one of our engineers, please give us a call on 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline & Virgin Media mobile) or 0345 454 1111 (from any other phone), or contact us via WebChat on Contact Us to discuss this further.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos