Menu
Raaboo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

DO NOT GET A PHONE WITH VIRGIN

So, many months ago we got a phone/TV/internet package with Virgin media, and have regretted it ever since to an extent.

first off we had the order screwed up so ended up having 2 installations instead of one, thanks to an incompetent person in their internet orders team missing off our second box and all the HD and Sky movies packages.

then the phone calls started... Two or three a day between 8am and 10pm... Debt collectors, marketers, surveys, and anything else random companies could ring you for. We rang Virgin and had anonymous call barring added, then the phone number changed and finally added to TPS.

since then it has not stopped... Calls every day, 2 or three of them at least from 'sorry, we do not have the callers number' numbers (so much for call barring which only blocks 'withheld' numbers and not 'unavailable' ones), and yet again debt collectors. This time however they weren't just asking for one person but two different names. Repeated requests have fallen on deaf ears with these companies to stop calling and I am on the verge of a police complaint for harassment. Virgin were as useful as a chocolate fire guard!

My annoyance is not that they are calling, it's the fact that there is no way to stop them and virgin don't care about the circumstances surrounding this. My partner has severe agoraphobia and social anxiety, and each time the phone rings when I am not the, their anxiety peaks to the point of needing medication to control it; this often means that when I get home from work, they are in a distressed state - not great for someone who has suicidal tendencies to be alone with little support when this happens! I genuinely fear I will come home to a dead body one day because of the distress my hubby has from these calls as they are chasing debts for someone we do not know and we have no debt! My hubby fears someone will come round and try and break the door down and start taking stuff from the house for someone else's debt (when you are distressed and have mental health concerns you lose a lot of logical argument!)

i was offered to be emailed a blog article that details how to stop these calls... What, the one that tells me to register for TPS, use anonymous call barring and speak to virgin if it continues? Well, I did all that, spoke to virgin and got sent the article telling me to speak to them? Talk about useless! When asking what can be done we were given no resolution and no suggestion. 

Now you may say, why not turn the ringer off? Well, my hubby does sometimes forget to charge his mobile or notice it is switched off. If I am at work and something happens, he needs to be able to ring out, so phone line is necessary; similarly if I do not hear from him when calling to check on him, I ring the landline to check he is okay before bursting in to panic mode! Turning the ringer off is not an option as he needs to be able to know I am calling. Hence why he ends up answering the phone all the time to these companies who do not take no for an answer! . I was that peeved that I asked how much it would be for a disconnection as I would sooner have no line and have a spare emergency mobile for hubby or ring a neighbour than have him distressed every day by persistent surveys or 'government questionnaires' which are in fact companies flouting TPS regulation to call you! Virgin said I would have to pay a disconnection fee, and termination charge and that my monthly bill would go up as I would lose the bundle discount.

THANKYOU VIRGIN! Cause my husband unimaginable distress by using a recycled number, which you then change to another recycled number, followed by being no help at al except recycling advice and then telling me that all numbers used now are recycled... Don't tell your customers that when they sign up though do you?  Not happy and thoroughly recommend you ensure you intend to use your phone line for outgoing calls only and turn the ringer off!

0 Kudos
marrtin
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: DO NOT GET A PHONE WITH VIRGIN

I understand to a point where you are coming from.  I have had a recycled number in the past, and it was really frustrating to constantly receive calls from unknown people.

My problem wasn't with VM at the time but another provider so it really is a widespread problem.

You can do quite a bit nowadays to stop the calls yourself.  Many of the new phones offer blocking facilities that will significantly reduce unwanted calls. Which? recommend the Panasonic KX-TGC220 phone as a best buy and it has the facility to block calls and it only costs £23.

It can block:

All anonymous calls.

Incoming international calls.

Individual numbers.

Last caller barring.

I'm only quoting from the Which? magazine, so check the specs before you buy it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This problem is universal to all landline providers, & becoming an increasing problem with mobile providers as well. ALL telephone numbers are recycled, & the more demand there is for numbers, the shorter the "lag" between a number being given up & being allocated to a new customer.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
mling
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not really true that is it. I work for telco and their are plenty of new numbers being issued by Ofcom. Of course the new number would be an 0203 type number as there are no new 0207/0208 numbers available

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

mling wrote:

Not really true that is it. I work for telco and their are plenty of new numbers being issued by Ofcom. Of course the new number would be an 0203 type number as there are no new 0207/0208 numbers available

There are new numbers available, but they cost money. Companies that want them have to buy an allocation, which they won't do when they can re-allocate the ones they already pay for.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
mling
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ofcom only levy a charge for a limited range of about 30 prefixes that are in short supply, such as 0207 and 0208. Even for these, Ofcom only charge 10 pence per number per annum. This is designed to encourage telcos to manage their numbers efficiently. It is true that enterprises are charged for their blocks of numbers but this is just how we telcos make money. If we pay 10p per number per year we will likely charge these out at anything up to 50p per month. It's the same with IP addresses. We receive free from RIPE but we charge up to £5 per month per address. Virgin operate in exactly the same way.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@mling Sorry but you've set my pedantic head off.  I used to work for a telco myself.  There is no prefix 0207 or 0208 the correct prefix for ALL of London is now 020.  numbers became 8 digits with former 0171 numbers starting with 7 and former 0181 numbers starting with 8.

As someone who still works for a telco you could at least get that distinction right.  It's as bad as when people say the Bristol code is 01179 (it's just 0117 with pre existing numbers having and extra 9 at the beginning).

Edit - to the OP - It's not just Virgin - have a read of this from 2010

https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Recycled-telephone-number/td-p/43107

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
mling
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Being pedantic seems to have swerved you off topic! The fact remains that numbers beginning with 0207 and 0208, along with some other regional codes, are in short supply and are therefore issued from recycled stock. However, Virgin are quite capable of issuing an unused number in another block should they so desire, the obstacle will not be the availability of an unused number but rather the lack of an internal business process to actually accomplish the task.

0 Kudos