Menu
vmforumlogin
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Crossed Line Fault. Cannot fix it for a Week?

Dear Virgin

This started a week or so ago.  I was getting a crossed landline with another number.  I spoke to the person who was crossed with me and she advised that VM would be out yesterday to fix it.  Today a load of beeping and ringing from my phone and this afternoon still a crossed line.  This has now resulted in our phone numbers being swapped.  Your customer service reps advise that they cannot fix it until next Wednesday 30th Dec.  This means that neither of our families and friends can get in touch with us on the landlines as they will get through to the wrong person.   Can I have an engineer out straight away as this is a fault generated by VM and unresolved yesterday.  I do not feel it should sit in the queue.

I can give you further details on PM.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Crossed Line Fault. Cannot fix it for a Week?

Response times from the forum team here can be several days, so if you cannot phone customer services, which would be the quickest way to get this looked at, try using online chat, via the "Contact Us" link at the foot of this page.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi vmforumlogin

I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your phone line at the moment. From checking your account I can see that the appointment is still on track, we're looking forward to putting this right.

Sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused, I'd love to hear how the appointment goes.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
vmforumlogin
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I got a call back from one of the HD operators I spoke to yesterday.  He managed to get me a cancellation that is booked for tomorrow morning.  A good result, dependent on whether the issue can be fixed. 

Interestingly, and for other users to note, the HD operator said that there is no automated system that watches out for cancellations and allocates them on priority.  Its up to the HD operators who take your call to look out for them when they are on shift.  The guy who looked after me did what he said he would and I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones who will get a service call in reasonable time.

Feedback here for VM is that 7 days to plan to fix a fault isn't good enough. Christmas is no excuse.  You know its a busy enough time and should plan accordingly, especially as your prices are going up again by a great deal more than inflation.

0 Kudos
vmforumlogin
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Chris.  Thanks for your reply.  I will let you know what the fault turns out to be.

0 Kudos
vmforumlogin
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update on this fault.  I was given an emergency appointment via the means mentioned above.  The HD operator trawled the cancellations and decided that I was worthy.  Thanks HD operator.  No thanks to VM who seem to have a ridiculous system of prioritisation of faults and a pitiful time frame to fix them in.

When the engineer attended I explained that it was not now a crossed line, instead the crossed line where i could still ring my phone number and get through to my house had, since VM went out to the other affected party the previous day turned into a complete swap of numbers.  The other person had mine and I had theirs. 

The engineers first assessment was that there was something wrong with the connections in the "box".  This turned out to be correct as when he returned from the box my phone number was now my phone number and not the persons up the road.

I then suggested testing the line by not just ringing it but answering the call.  We did this and hey ho, the crossed line was back with all three of us having a conversation at the same time on my number. 

The engineer was a little perplexed but went back to the box to investigate further.  He came back announcing that he had fixed it.  Surely enough he had as when we rang my number there was no crossed line. 

He explained the problem to be that when the VM engineer had installed the other persons line, very recently I am told, he failed to put the second wire into the correct slot in the box.  Instead he connected it to my line.  In the engineers words, the install technician was lazy.

So this problem appears to be a VM created issue.  Not a breakdown of equipment caused by some inexplicable, unavoidable thing but an issue created by a VM engineer not doing his job properly. 

The problem for the other person affected by this didn't go away as although my line was connected properly he wasn't able to sort the other persons line out due to "data protection reasons???????"    The engineer said that all he could do was report it to his supervisor rather than go to the other persons house to fix it, even though he had spoken to the other person on the phone and knew which house it was.  Another week of waiting for this customer then!!

Thanks VM.  This clearly demonstrates that the 7% price rises to my bill are ridiculous.

And do not bother apologising with empty meaningless jibble.

Happy new year.

0 Kudos