Menu
chops
Rising star
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Charges if call unanswered

Are unanswered calls from a VM landline to a VM mobile now charged at minimum £0.38 ?

The call duration was 2 seconds and no voicemail service was in use the call was not answered and mobile rang for 2 seconds before terminating the call at the landline. 

VM call centres in Philippines ? and also India stated that the charge is correct even if a call is unanswered. Previously unanswered calls were not chargeable only if a connection was established ?  If this is a recent change to charges were customers informed ?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
spell
Well-informed
Message 24 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charges if call unanswered

Perhaps chops would also like to pass on the thread to the regulators in view of the evidence it contains.
The onus is on organisations to make sure they are aware of regulations plus any updates and comply with them.
If this charge should not be imposed it needs stopping immediately and it is not for customers to ring for a refund of money that should not have been taken in the first place.
No criticism of your good self Karen - you have done your job.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 30 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi chops

After the investigation we have run to confirm what has potentially happened here for you we now know that the number dialled did connect for you which I know you are aware of.

With respect to my previous statements about the line charging when ringing, this was based upon other examples of when this has happened to customers in the past in my experience.

Thanks to the investigation that has been run we can now say that at some point on these calls that have cropped up previously when a customer has raised this with me and going forwards, that the line would have had to have connected even if just for part of a second to a messaging system or potential silence if this didn't have a chance to activate fully, just before the customers are hanging up the phone.

This gives the indication that the line has rung only and not gone to a messaging service but has still been charged.

I will amend my previous post to include this update so as not to confuse things.

If as you have mentioned the line rings only and no connection is made to any answer service there is no charge.

My apologies for the confusion. I appreciate the investigation we have done that has allowed me to find out the specifics in regards to when this would apply and the reasons why this has appeared in the past just to ring only and not connect but still charge for some customers.

Thanks again chops for your posts. It's been a great help Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

All Replies
chops
Rising star
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Anyone know if these unanswered calls are now being charged ??

0 Kudos
chops
Rising star
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Anyone from VM able to answer this question   ??????

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi chops,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I would like to help check this out for you.  Just to clarify to make sure I have understood this correctly, are you being charged on your Landline for calling a VM Mobile?  

Given the call was cut off after a couple of seconds, it sounds to me that the person being called on the Mobile is rejecting the call, in which case it will go to Voicemail if it is setup.  

So I can help further, let me know if I have understood this correctly and I can check further.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
chops
Rising star
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

hello Collette,

It's exactly as I stated in my posting above :The call duration was 2 seconds and no voicemail service was in use the call was not answered and mobile rang for 2 seconds before terminating the call at the landline.  

So just to clarify answers again to your questions :

1. The call was form a VM landline to a VM mobile

2. The mobile was not answered and as soon as it started ringing the landline hung up to end the call. No voicemail is activated on the mobile due to the very short call duration and voicemail was in any case turned off permanently. 

3. The call was not rejected at the mobile. It was terminated at the landline. The call was made very briefly just to check if the mobile phone ringer was working correctly.

Your call centre stated that all calls dialled are now being  charged irrespective of the outcome. Is this correct ?  if so why were customers not told of the change in charging policies as before these calls were not chargeable.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi chops,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I have passed this on to one of my colleagues who will have a look into this for you.  I will send you further details in a private message, look for the  icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
chops
Rising star
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting for an answer.....................................................................................

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi chops, 

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've picked up your post from Collette, as she's away for a while.

You should only be charged a connection fee for calling a mobile that didn't answer the call and that didn't go to voicemail.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
TC-25
Up to speed
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

On my latest bill I've got 4 calls from my landline to my Virgin mobile, all timed at 1 minute. 3 are charged at 0.28 & the 4th at 0.32p. When queried I was told that the extra 0.04p was because the call must have been answered, and that even unanswered calls are charged. This is clearly unfair!
♦From your answer to "chops" it would appear I too have been mislead.♦
chops
Rising star
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the reply above from Terri _P of the forum team is incorrect.  Unanswered calls are charged a ' connection fee' of around 30 pence even if it only rings once. An additional charge is then added per minute if answered. Previously unanswered calls were not charged. When this new method of billing was introduced I have not been able to determine nor whether customers were notified properly. If you have a call package covering calls at weekends and evenings for example, then the call is not chargeable.