Menu
rsautocare
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Charged for calls I haven't made

I have just received my bill from Virgin Media and to my horror there are charges for over £50 for phone usage nearly all made when I am at work and there is nobody in the house. I have checked through previous bills and it seems that I have been charged every month usually only £3 or so but still at times when I am not at home.

I use my mobile for all my calls (o2) as they are free in my package. I do not use a virgin landline except if I need to contact customer services, but when I plugged my phone in I find I have no dial tone. No idea how long this has been going on but there have been a few occasions when i have had no dial tone. Normally this wouldn't bother me but being charged for using a phone that is not plugged in stinks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for calls I haven't made

Hi rsautocare

Welcome to the Community, I'm so sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your home phone at the moment.

I've been able to locate your account and I'd like to arrange for an engineer to come and take a closer look, if you're available?

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused, we'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jabawocki
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

We are having the same problem. I never use the home phone as the calls are really expensive with Virgin and we both have mobiles. This month we have been charged for 41 calls that we never made! Only one is itemised and the dialling code and specified location do not even match! I also have the issue with no dial tone/dead line. I have to unplug and plug the phone back in to get a dialling tone.

I have so far wasted over an hour and a half of my time contacting Virgin about this and they appear to not believe me but would be happy to (potentially) charge me £99 for an engineer to come out and check things. Of course, if they find a fault we would not be charged but call me suspicious - they have already charged me for calls I haven't made AND the technical team could find no fault with the line when I called them. My trust is not exactly high. Plus they have already taken the money for said calls which in my view amounts to theft from me!

As well as not appearing to believe me, they also want to charge £2 for an itemised bill if I want to know exactly when all the calls were made. Really?! As one was at 3.50am when I am fast asleep I know for sure it wasn't me!

I am absolutely appalled and outraged by the attitude, lack of service, being passed from pillar to post and the total lack of understanding. They do not deserve our custom in my view and I am VERY close to leaving.

Even escalating this matter to a complaint and being told I would receive a call from a manager within 24 hours didn't happen. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

So far I have made 3 calls to 150. The first I was passed around to 3 people. The second and third calls were cut off after listening to the godawful hold music for ten minutes each time. I tried the Facebook page and got left dangling by the operative. Then I tried the web chat on the website and the robot just repeated the same old script with no understanding. FRANKLY I AM DEEPLY UNIMPRESSED WHEN THIS IS NOT OF MY DOING. I am chasing around after Virgin for what....?

Come on Virgin, get it together or I am off to Sky.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

HI Jabawocki

Welcome to the Community, I'm very sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your phone service at the moment.

I've been able to locate your account to run some tests on the line from our end, we're not detecting any issues or errors with the line at the moment though.

Are you hearing any noise/crackling on your line when you're using it? If you dial your mobile number from your telephone handset, is the number you see the one that you recognise?

I'll also be able to help with itemised billing so we can keep a closer eye on this moving forward, I'll just need to request some information from you to be able to do that, could you respond to the private message I've sent with that information? You can view the message by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

I'd also like to apologise for the service you've received from our teams recently, we take a lot of pride ion our customer service and it;s really disappointing to hear that we've let you down in that area. I'll be doing everything I can to help to put that right.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RSP
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have just noticed that I have been charged for calls to 01279 **********, which occurred at odd times of the day (and in the middle of the night) and lasted less than 1 minute. Since they each cost 26 p, they do not show up as individual items on the bill, unless you pay Virgin for an itemized bill for calls costing less than 50 p. I only noticed because the latest bill was double the usual. If this had not happened, I would not have noticed the odd increase in the non-itemized calls, and I am now really wondering how long I have been charged small amounts for calls I have not made!?

Now, contacting the chat line was an absolute waste of my time. It took more than 3 minutes for each response, and each and every response was completely useless. The person just re-iterated which phone plan I am on. The transcript is almost comical, if it had not been such a waste of time. However, calling the customer service line and having worked my way through about 10 additional steps, I eventually reached a really friendly and helpful person (with an American accent). She promised that an engineer is going to look at this Saturday afternoon (I am not holding my breath, though).

This feels like some sort of scam, even though the money goes to Virgin Media. This is Virgin Media's responsibility and needs to be fixed ASAP. How many customers have been charged little amounts for calls they have not made?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

RSP
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Update: Received a call from a Virgin Media customer representative (again, very friendly) who suggested that it might be my monitored alarm system which is making all these calls. Turns out, she was correct. So, contrary to my original assumption, it is not Virgin's issue to sort.

In summary, very disappointed with the chat line experience, slightly disappointed with the fact that it takes about 15 button clicks on the phone and some additional waiting to reach a customer representative, happy with the way I was treated once I reached a real person. 

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

RSP wrote:

I have just noticed that I have been charged for calls to 01279 **********, which occurred at odd times of the day (and in the middle of the night) and lasted less than 1 minute. Since they each cost 26 p, they do not show up as individual items on the bill, unless you pay Virgin for an itemized bill for calls costing less than 50 p. I only noticed because the latest bill was double the usual. If this had not happened, I would not have noticed the odd increase in the non-itemized calls, and I am now really wondering how long I have been charged small amounts for calls I have not made!?

I didn't have to pay VM for itemised billing for calls under 50p.  I just phoned them up and requested it.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Sharona45
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Similar problem. Charged £15 for loads of calls to 123, 101 (police!) and various local numbers at all times of the day and night.  All calls for 1 minute and charged at 26 pence each.  I certainly never made any of those calls and to the first customer services operator I spoke to - no, nobody else uses my phone and I don't have an alarm, was told nothing could be done without agreeing to risk an engineer call out charge £99.

online chat a waste of time.

Am lodging a complaint re Virgin's policy of dealing with mystery phone call charges, which do not need an engineer call out to rectify and even if they do the onus should not be on the customer to pay any charges.  I have been with Virgin for over 15 years and I am very upset about all of this.

0 Kudos
Sharona45
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Craig perhaps you can help me. I don't know how to monitor if the problem has gone away
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi all

I'd have to ask you to create your own threads if you'd like a member of staff to look at your issue, we'd love to help all of you but it's not possible for us to keep track of our conversations if they all happen in one place.

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

0 Kudos