Menu
Karenesque
Up to speed
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Charged For Using Telecare Alarm

Hello

On Friday  I had a fall and had to use the telecare system to call for assistance.  Yesterday I was checking my phone bill and discovered I have been charged for using it.  I was charged 72p  for 6 minutes and the people who came to help me used it to let the control centre I was OK.  I was charged 34p for 2 minutes.  The number the system used to dial out was a 0300 number. I just found it a bit much to be charged for an emergency situation. Is this a normal charge for this type of number?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charged For Using Telecare Alarm

ok i'm wrong its not free. from a landline they are the same as landline calls.
so will be charged normally.

0300 numbers were introduced by Ofcom as an alternative number for organisations, who wish to offer their consumers a single, trusted point of contact. The cost of calling 0300 numbers is the same as calling a standard landline number, be it from a landline or mobile.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

0300 are free from landlines and included in mobile allowance as a standard landline number. Was the charge in a landline or mobile
0 Kudos
Karenesque
Up to speed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I presume landline.  The Telecare box gets plugged into the Virgin socket and my telephone gets plugged into the Telecare box.  When I use the system it dials out to a call centre, who speak to me via the box, so they can find out what is needed.  I was just surprised to be charged for something I would consider an emergency service.

Here is the number;-

Number.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ok i'm wrong its not free. from a landline they are the same as landline calls.
so will be charged normally.

0300 numbers were introduced by Ofcom as an alternative number for organisations, who wish to offer their consumers a single, trusted point of contact. The cost of calling 0300 numbers is the same as calling a standard landline number, be it from a landline or mobile.

Karenesque
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help.  Talk about profiting from people's misery!  You'd think a company providing emergency help would use a free number.  Sign of the times I suppose.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

some do. But they make the money back in there subscription costs. Nothing is free in the world its all paid for somehow Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Karenesque
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Still a bit much, considering I have to pay for the system per week, you'd think the calls would be included.  As you say, nothing is free in this world.  Don't get old, or infirm people, it costs too much!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

when i get old that the way things are going it will cost £100/minute for phone call Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Karenesque
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I doubt older people will be allowed to exist in the future, anyone considered an 'unproductive' member of society, will be euthanized.
0 Kudos