Menu
Smithsax
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cannot receive calls and strange dial tone

For the last 24 hours we have not received phone calls on the land line and the dial tone has changed to a rapid tone. If I ring in from the mobile it sounds to be ringing then goes to a voice mail but it is not my personalised message and when I ring my voicemail I cannot hear the message I left. I can ring out.

I don't have call divert or barring. Sadly I don't have another phone try. Do I need to buy a new phone. Have booked an engineer but they are not due until next Thursday!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot receive calls and strange dial tone

You'll probably only get the offshore call centre today and they are worse than useless.  I suggest you wait until normal office hours tomorrow morning and give the UK based Retentions team a call as they can deal with a lot more than just retention issues.  150 from a virgin phone for free or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to 'Thinking of leaving us' - 1  >  4  >  5

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Try checking that your landline is still on the same number it's supposed to be.  Dial 1471 and an automated voice should tell you what number you are connected to.

Electron
0 Kudos
Smithsax
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It give the last number received before it stopped working yesterday. It does not give my mobile even though I was connected to a voicemail when ringing my number just now.

0 Kudos
Smithsax
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. When I ring my mobile from the land line a completely different number comes up. When I ring that nu,ber back my land line rings. It seems I have developed a brand new phone number. I will get back to Virgin.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I don't know how Virgin Media port their landlines but I suppose it may have been an engineer doing some installation in the street cabinet and he's put the lines back in the wrong ports??  Quite possibly you now have a neighbour's number and they have yours.  What happens when you ring your correct landline number from the mobile this morning, does anyone pick up or is it still going to an unknown voicemail?

Electron
0 Kudos
Smithsax
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Nobody picks up and it still goes to the voicemail. We have had no call on the new number so if it is a neighbour they may not be using the phone. That raises the question of whether we will be charged for each others calls. Still trying to grt to a human being at Virgin.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You'll probably only get the offshore call centre today and they are worse than useless.  I suggest you wait until normal office hours tomorrow morning and give the UK based Retentions team a call as they can deal with a lot more than just retention issues.  150 from a virgin phone for free or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to 'Thinking of leaving us' - 1  >  4  >  5

Electron
Smithsax
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - will try that. I did eventually get through but still no hope of anything being sorted before Thursday. They still insist they will have to come in to our house and someone will have to be in for them to sort it. I asked if I could be charged for somebody elses calls and was told they would sort that out later if it turned out to be a an issue.

Not very impressed as it was clearly one of their guys who mixed up the connections in our local box. The number we currently have is also local. If there is anybody sensible from Virgin moderating this thread perhaps they could pull a few strings..... 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Smithsax

Welcome to the Community, I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your phone line recently.

I'm glad that action has been planned and I'd love to hear how the appointment goes. I'll be here should you need any assistance regarding this issue moving forward.

Take care and speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Smithsax wrote:

It give the last number received before it stopped working yesterday. It does not give my mobile even though I was connected to a voicemail when ringing my number just now.

Yes, my apologies.  I told you to ring 1471 which will indeed give you the last caller.

What I should have said is dial 174 and then you'll hear the automated voice telling you which line number your phone is connected to.

Electron
0 Kudos