Menu
Fulwell
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can't receive incoming calls on my landline

Early today we had a power surge and I can now no longer receive incoming calls on my Virgin landline.

Outgoing calls are fine.

I've tried plugging in a different phone and using a different phone socket, but still no joy.

I called Virgin to book an engineer visit and the earliest they can come is TEN DAYS from now. How can I be without incoming calls for that long??

Can anybody help..

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can't receive incoming calls on my landline

ok - there's still an outside chance that a cheap dumb tesco value or argos £9.99 handset will still work where a better one won't, and there's a faint chance that if you peek into the socket you may see a connection that you can patch. But if VM have already tested and confirmed a fault then these are both long shots. depends how desperate you are.  I think those cheap handsets are a sound investment as you can use them to make/receive calls during a power cut.

AFAIK there are no electronics in a phone socket, so nothing in there to fail really, just thin wires. Once could conceiveably melt or break under brief excess voltage

your other virgin services were unaffected ?

The more complex stuff will be in the Virgin brown box where the phone cable into your house connects to their street feed but i'ts not a DIY thing to go poking around in that.

It's never good to lose service just when a  bank holiday as coming up as that is bound to delay repairs

0 Kudos

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

how do you know you had a power surge - a power cut is visible, but a surge ???

can VM not test the phone line remotely to confirm your diagnosis

if there was truly a surge it may have damaged their street cabinet thus your neighbours phone lines would be not working also ?

I don't think the'res anything else you can check - there are no replaceable fuses in a phone socket AFAIK

is there any burnt smell or any signs of heat damage at or near the phone socket.

you have nothing to lose by popping the cover & posting a photo or two..

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Fulwell,

Sorry to hear the issues you're experiencing with your telephone line and I would like to welcome you to the community.

I have been able to locate your account and at the moment this is the earliest available appointment we have, however we do get cancellations so we will keep an eye on your account and if we're able to bring your appointment forward we will notify you and see whether you're available.

Apologies again for any inconvenience this has caused.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ps is anything else connected to your phone line, have you added extra extensions or filters. It used to be that phones stopped ringing when some ren value was exceeded.  IE too many devices. Does it fail with just one handset in one socket and nothing else, and with a cheap  no features, no batteries dumb  wired handset ?

0 Kudos
Fulwell
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. The was a power surge for a second or two, when the lights flashed, and the phone went down after that. I don't think the neighbours are affected, but Virgin have tested the line and they say there's a fault.

No burnt smells or anything

I've managed to get Virgin to re-route calls to my mobile, but even that takes 24 hours and it's far from ideal to have that for 10 days.

I'm pretty sure BT would have got an engineer our much faster than that..

I work from home too, so it's potentially damaging.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ok - there's still an outside chance that a cheap dumb tesco value or argos £9.99 handset will still work where a better one won't, and there's a faint chance that if you peek into the socket you may see a connection that you can patch. But if VM have already tested and confirmed a fault then these are both long shots. depends how desperate you are.  I think those cheap handsets are a sound investment as you can use them to make/receive calls during a power cut.

AFAIK there are no electronics in a phone socket, so nothing in there to fail really, just thin wires. Once could conceiveably melt or break under brief excess voltage

your other virgin services were unaffected ?

The more complex stuff will be in the Virgin brown box where the phone cable into your house connects to their street feed but i'ts not a DIY thing to go poking around in that.

It's never good to lose service just when a  bank holiday as coming up as that is bound to delay repairs

0 Kudos
Fulwell
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have tried with another cheap handset and I get the same problem: can call out but can't receive. I have several phone sockets around the house and it's the same issue with each of them. So it must be the line somewhere..

Other Virgin services are unaffected.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ok - maybe the line that runs between the 1st (master) Virgin phone socket and the others in the house has failed somewhere. could be that a break or a short in that wiring knocks out the riing tone for all sockets

your absolute last resort would be to temp trace & disconnect that slave wiring in the hopes that the main socket would then work

if the fault is actually  " no ring tone" rather than can't receive i.e. you'd get the incoming call if you were psychic enough to pick up the receiver then that's also a clue - you'd have to stage a deliberate test.

I can't remember if VM fit & maintain  extra household sockets or not. I know that our extension phone socket was added by a 3rd party kitchen installer  ,then fixed by a better skilled 3rd party when it played up

I guess if they installed them they fix them, but if an engineer shows up in 10 days time  & says not our kit, not our problem, you'll not be best pleased- so my be worth checking that in advance,

0 Kudos