Menu
Highlighted
David4
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can I use my existing home phone extension network with Virgin broadband/phone set-up?

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading to Virgin Media broadband/phone but I have an existing BT phone outlet on each floor of my 3 storey house and I would like to still use these. Also my PC and TV are on different floors. Virgin have said that I may not be able to use the existing network of boxes because they are copper and not fibre. I don't want strings of new cables being installed so does anyone know if it is possible to connect from a new Virgin master outlet box to an existing extension set-up like mine?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I use my existing home phone extension network with Virgin broadband/phone set-up?

David4 wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading to Virgin Media broadband/phone but I have an existing BT phone outlet on each floor of my 3 storey house and I would like to still use these.
VM don't use any equipment or any part of the BT Openreach Network. They have their own network and own cabling. Additionally, VM broadband does not go down the VM phone line. It goes down the coax cabling VM would install.

Also my PC and TV are on different floors. Virgin have said that I may not be able to use the existing network of boxes because they are copper and not fibre.
Use power lines or wireless.

I don't want strings of new cables being installed so does anyone know if it is possible to connect from a new Virgin master outlet box to an existing extension set-up like mine?
Afraid not.

Thanks

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I use my existing home phone extension network with Virgin broadband/phone set-up?

Virgin will use your existing extension sockets as part of the install if you request this when the technician arrives

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

David4 wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading to Virgin Media broadband/phone but I have an existing BT phone outlet on each floor of my 3 storey house and I would like to still use these.
VM don't use any equipment or any part of the BT Openreach Network. They have their own network and own cabling. Additionally, VM broadband does not go down the VM phone line. It goes down the coax cabling VM would install.

Also my PC and TV are on different floors. Virgin have said that I may not be able to use the existing network of boxes because they are copper and not fibre.
Use power lines or wireless.

I don't want strings of new cables being installed so does anyone know if it is possible to connect from a new Virgin master outlet box to an existing extension set-up like mine?
Afraid not.

Thanks

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
David4
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shelke,

I feared that this would be the case. I've arranged for a site survey by VM so they can advise what is possible. Using wireless for the PC is probably OK but I'm concerned that download speeds won't be as good. I need a phone on each floor so I would have to bin my existing phones and go to a wireless set-up for this.

Thanks also for moving my post to a more appropriate location!

David

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

David4 wrote:

Thanks Shelke,

I feared that this would be the case. I've arranged for a site survey by VM so they can advise what is possible.

Using wireless for the PC is probably OK
Wireless is OK, but power lines (homeplugs) would come a close second to Ethernet. However, if you're opting for 100Mb+ broadband, make sure that if power line type you opt for has an Ethernet connect on it - that you get the type with a 1Gb Ethernet port rather than one with a 100Mb Ethernet port.

I need a phone on each floor so I would have to bin my existing phones and go to a wireless set-up for this.
VM can install extension cables. In my property I have a VM master socket (labeled NTL) at the front door which is linked to a phone extension cable that runs into the front room. Additionally, its possible to request additional phone lines to be installed, but at what charge I am not sure.

Thanks also for moving my post to a more appropriate location!

David

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin will use your existing extension sockets as part of the install if you request this when the technician arrives

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

jb66 wrote:

Any modifications done to the sockets/how they are connected up would create problems in the future if returning to BT (and cost as well) which is why VM should put their own in by default not use old BT sockets.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
David4
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks jb66. I am having a site survey done next week so I'll ask the technician to look at this option then and let you know how it goes.

David

0 Kudos
David4
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shelke, VM quoted £25 for each additional extension phone socket beyond the master. What bothers me about that is that the cables connecting them would be surface mounted whereas all of my existing BT cables are neatly concealed in walls, behind skirtings etc.

I know nothing about power lines, some research required.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

David4 wrote:
Thanks Shelke, VM quoted £25 for each additional extension phone socket beyond the master.
Cat Happy That is a fair price. When I was last with an ISP that ran off the BT Openreach network, they charged £130 for callouts to get socket modifications/additions/repairs done. No idea what they charge now, but prices rarely go down nowadays.

+Edit: I know what you mean about concealment and keep things looking neat. Thankfully my master socket and extension are out of sight due to their location. the MS is behind a shoe rack at the front door and extension is behind furniture. if they were in plain sight it wouldn't look that great.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
David4
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well having just done a bit of on-line research into power lines I can either use those to link to my PC elsewhere in the house or a company called Solwise makes a box which uses very similar technology but uses a twisted pair i.e. phone lines to carry the data. As my old BT phone lines will be redundant I can use them to get the data around the house. Sounds too good to be true but it looks like there is a solution.

0 Kudos