Menu
Curious2
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Calls to a Vonage VOIP number

Bit of a weird question, so I hope you will bear with me.  I have Vonage VOIP landline phone service that also provides a local UK phone number so a British friend with a Virgin landline can ring me as a local call.  I am in the United States.  When my internet goes out, calls automatically transfer to my (USA) mobile just for the duration.

My question:  If my friend with the Virgin landline rings my Vonage local number and the call forwards to my USA mobile would they be charged with making an international cell call?  My connection is wired; no WiFi.

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Calls to a Vonage VOIP number

the quickest and most reliable way to get that answered is to arrange a 2 second test call, then everyone involved checks their online billing

otherwise you wait a week for some forum staff person to come along and say "dunno" and another week for them to go away and find someone who does...

0 Kudos
Curious2
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

the quickest and most reliable way to get that answered is to arrange a 2 second test call, then everyone involved checks their online billing

otherwise you wait a week for some forum staff person to come along and say "dunno" and another week for them to go away and find someone who does...

Lol.  Unfortunately, it only happens IF or when my internet goes down which - knock on wood - isn't all that often.  I guess I'll get some popcorn and wait/hope a staff person can help.  Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Outlaw-Boater
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The person originating the call will only pay for the cost of the number they dialled.

The potentially complicated bit here is how much you'll pay for the vonage routing to the US mobile as Vonage operate internationally.

Assuming your vonage account is based in the US, it will be Vonages domestic rates for connecting in the US.

As suggested above, organising a short test call is the best way to confirm you're getting the service you signed up for before you have the chance to run up a big bill.
Curious2
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Outlaw-Boater wrote:
The person originating the call will only pay for the cost of the number they dialled.

The potentially complicated bit here is how much you'll pay for the vonage routing to the US mobile as Vonage operate internationally.

Assuming your vonage account is based in the US, it will be Vonages domestic rates for connecting in the US.

As suggested above, organising a short test call is the best way to confirm you're getting the service you signed up for before you have the chance to run up a big bill.

Thanks. Now if I'm reading your reply correctly:

My USA Vonage service has a "virtual number" with a West Midlands UK phone number so that they dial that local number and it rings ME on my landline.  So even IF my internet is out that UK local number transfers to my USA mobile number and the UK person only pays for the local call .... ?

I'm not worried about MY charges as I have unlimited service w/Vonage and mobile provider -- it's my friend in UK.  Don't want them to be charged with supposedly calling a USA mobile number.

Apologies if I am being dim.   Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

if they don't get charged for the international hook up, that seems to be a loophole for gaming the system and getting a free international mobile connection

so I dishonest person with a similar setup just " accidentally" turns of their internet and. all their friends get to call them for free while they are travelling the world ?..

or i am I missing something ?

0 Kudos