Menu
londonfoodie69
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Caller display not working on landline

Hi - I see from other similar posts such as those listed below that this is a known issue, however I am having issues with getting caller display working on my Virgin phone line.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone/BT8500-call-blocker-phone/td-p/3038178

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone/Caller-Display/td-p/3351367

In my case I am using the BT 4600 type phone which has the caller display on it - tech support have tried various things, such as taking the functionality off and putting it back on without success and engineers have also attended site without success.

What happens is that when I get a call, either the display is totally blank, or the display says "Incoming Call", but no number is displayed - while when my phone line was with BT a number would be displayed.

Would appreciate if this issue could get escalated please - the engineers attended site today and couldn't do anything as the line was technically working, however whatever they did do has now meant that although I do not see the number on an incoming call, the phone does keep the number of past callers (not sure how or why).

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
hubbs91
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Caller display not working on landline

Are you in London.... If so its likely you are on a DMS100 exchange.. Craig I would be asking the network team to remove CND feature from the exchange and add DDN (display Directory Number) or re add CND (call Number display). That exchange type had a a fair issues where even if the feature showed itdid not work. Refreshing be taking on and off fixed it normally. There were a few areas though where even of the feature was on it was incompatable to the cab in the street cab so sometimes changing the eside worked. That would be a street tech visit.
0 Kudos
londonfoodie69
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So - I have a (positive) update on my issue - it's fixed !

An engineer did some work on the box in the street and my caller display is now working.  I have given the information below for reference on what was done to fix the issue, but please bear in mind that these particular points worked for me - your situation will be different and may/will require different steps to resolve the issue - but at least it's somewhere to start.

The following things were done by the engineer :

-> CLI setting 10
-> Upgrade firmware on card

Many thanks to the Virgin forum staff for keeping this issue alive, and also many thanks to the engineer who resolved this issue - John - unfortunately I don't have his surname, but he promised me it would work on Wednesday - it's Wednesday and it's working - can't ask for more.

If you're reading this John - thank you - much appreciated sir.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

HI londonfoodie69

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're experiencing at the moment. 

I've dealt with a few of these issues and the resolution has always been a setting on the handset that needed changing in order for the caller display to work, is there any support for the handset for you to ask about those settings? 

I've checked the line and things are looking good, so I don't think there are any problems with your line in general. 

We'd love to hear how things go. 

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
londonfoodie69
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi - no there are no settings on the phone that refer to caller ID - this was working on a bt line with no issues.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

HI londonfoodie69

As we're not detecting any errors with your line and things are working as we'd expect without your handset it's difficult for me to put this right as soon as I'd like. 

Do you have another handset available to test this? 

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
londonfoodie69
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I have another phone but it doesn't have a display.

Can I ask what the issue was for the other situations as it appears to be a known problem ?

Also it's worth noting that I've had different things happen depending on what has been done - either the call display had been totally blank, or the display has said "no number" or "incoming call". It's also worth noting that in some instances during testing, it has been possible to view the numbers on the display who have called in the past - despite this information not being visible at the time of the call.

At the moment the display shows no number - even when I call from my mobile which does not withhold it's number
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response londonfoodie69

I'm not 100% sure on what setting was changed but I've dealt with a few similar issues in when an engineer wasn't able to resolve the problem, a setting on the handset did. 

Do you have any noise, crackling or interference on the line when making or receiving calls? 

Talk soon

Craig

0 Kudos
londonfoodie69
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Nope - line is clear
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming londonfoodie69

I'd recommend contacting the support team for your handset to ask for advice too, when looking at this from our end we're not detecting any errors at all and as you've also had an engineer out to take a closer look I'm quite confident there's no issue on our end. 

That being said, I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing as I'd love to be able to put it right, we'd love to hear how you get on.

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos
hubbs91
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you in London.... If so its likely you are on a DMS100 exchange.. Craig I would be asking the network team to remove CND feature from the exchange and add DDN (display Directory Number) or re add CND (call Number display). That exchange type had a a fair issues where even if the feature showed itdid not work. Refreshing be taking on and off fixed it normally. There were a few areas though where even of the feature was on it was incompatable to the cab in the street cab so sometimes changing the eside worked. That would be a street tech visit.
0 Kudos
londonfoodie69
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi hubbs91 and Craig - thanks for your reply and work on this so far.

Apologies also for the terseness of my posts - was replying from my mobile which isn't the most conducive device to lengthy posts !

So I've heard back from BT who said the following regarding the support of the caller ID feature on the BT 4600 series of phone :

"The BT 4600 is compatible with all network providers and there caller display service."

Poor show on the milapropism of "there" - but it gets the point across ! Smiley Happy

I also asked them on the specifics of what caller ID standard the phone adheres to and they replied with the following :

"The format complies to SIN227, which is V23 before first ring. This is the standard within the UK for telecommunications.

We have many other customers using this model on a Virgin line successfully."

Craig - With this in mind, can I ask if you could try the suggestions as raised by hubbs91 ? (Many thanks hubbs91). I've had an engineer attend site already as part of the diagnostic process that your helpdesk followed, but as it isn't an issue with the working of the physical line (i.e. I can make and receive calls without a problem), the engineer couldn't do very much as their engineering phones don't have displays - I know that he worked through quite a few options on the MUX though with the Virgin offices, but unfortunately this had no effect.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos