Menu
Swimum
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Caller ID not working

We moved to Virgin from BT in January.  Initially had a couple of problems which needed an engineer's visit but the caller ID which was part of our package has never worked.  Last week I finally got around to logging this with Virgin and an engineer called last Friday but couldn't fix the problem.  (He arrived at 1pm for a 8am -12 noon booking, was in the house less than 15 minutes and was obviously concerned about how late he would be for his other calls).  He said we would be  contacted over the weekend to be told what would happen next but we've heard nothing.  One of our phones is pretty old but we have two newer ones and they all worked absolutely fine and received caller ID for years when we were with BT.  It just stopped abruptly when we transferred over to Virgin.  We've even bought a new phone to replace the oldest one just in case that was the problem but it still doesn't work.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem before I log a complaint with Virgin?  Any suggestions gratefully received!

0 Kudos
Ian_Nunthorpe
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller ID not working

Phone 150 and ask Virgin to set it up for your phone - but you have to pay extra for Caller ID.

0 Kudos
Swimum
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is already part of our package and they have said it is switched on - it's just not working!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Swimum,

Really sorry to hear that Called ID still isn't working for you. Smiley Sad

I've located your account and the line still appears to be fine from this end, which is very bizarre.

I would, therefore, like to arrange for the engineer to re-visit and resolve this for you.

I've sent you a private message so that we can chat about this some more.

You can locate my message by clicking on the envelope icon, near the top right corner of the Community page.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Swimum
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to update everyone on progress.  After a couple of engineer's visits and a discussion with a senior engineer, it seems that we had two issues. Originally the voltage to our house was a problem - it was so low that Caller ID just didn't work.  This was fixed after two engineer's visits so we had Caller ID on one phone, but it still wasn't displaying on two Philips Xalio 200 Duo phones we have which have worked for years with BT.  After more checks it seems that these phones are not compatible with the Virgin system (even though I checked with Philips and they said they are cable compatible) so if we want Caller ID on all three phones, we're going to have to buy new ones which will pretty much cancel out the savings we made in moving to Virgin in the first place!  Just wanted to let everyone know that if you have a Caller ID issue, it might be something as simple as handset incompatibility.  It would be helpful if, before you change to Virgin, you were told this might be a problem and were able to check a list of non- compatible phones.  If we'd known this, it would have saved us a lot of time and effort.

Top marks to Nat at Virgin who helped sort this out for us by chasing up everything when engineers didn't follow up as promised.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread Swimum. Smiley Happy

Really sorry about the issue with compatibility.

I am, however, glad that we got some answers on this, as it was a bit of a tricky one.

Thanks for the mention also. I am happy to help in any way that I can!

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Take care,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Nat_J

Hi Nat - hoping you can help me out (again!!!) -How do I find out if the Philips Zenia 200 phones are compatible with VM for  Caller ID? 

Caller ID is now active on my phone line, but it isn't working.  I've already had an engineer out and after 90 mins of the best efforts, he told me it was a fault for the network team who'd fix it yesterday. 

I've just seens Swimum's thread from last year, and want to see if the problem is actually my kit (which works fine for Caller ID on all the other phone lines I've tried recently to test it out).

Cheers

D

0 Kudos