Menu
Braby
Dialled in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Caller Display nightmare

My Virgin Broadband package came with a phone line - which I never used. Recently I decided to tidy things up and ditch my BT landline, porting the number to Virgin. After a few teething problems all seemed good - until I realised caller display wasn't working properly. To cut a long story short, after several engineer visits and hours spent re-explaining everything to Virgin support staff (who have been great) it seems my chances of ever getting a reliable caller displayservice are nil. Virgin's network consists of a mishmash of legacy infrastructure with varying standards and voltages. My area was originally cabled by a Canadian company called Videotron.The last Virgin engineer said he had done everything he could "in the field" and it was now up to Virgin to sort out their network - which seemingly isn't going to happen on my account. Can anyone offer me any hope before I give up and just go back to BT?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Caller Display nightmare

Thanks for letting me know Braby,

Great to hear that this is working for you! Smiley Happy

I'll make sure to keep hold of the case for a couple of days, just as a precaution.

Sorry to hear that your broadband has been a little temperamental. :/ Typical!

Let me know if you continue to have trouble with this and I'll be more than happy to assist.

Take care,

Nat.

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Braby,

Really very sorry to hear about all of this.

I've located your account and your line appears to be connected via a Nokia switch.

I've contacted the second line team and they've made some amendments to the feature to see if this resolves the issue for you.

I've sent you a private message so that we can chat some more about this.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help Nat. I can't say that it's definitely fixed yet - at the moment caller display is working though I have to seriously limit the use of extension sockets, so not an ideal solution in the real world. However I can probably work with things if they stay as they are; it looks as if the caller display system is struggling with the legacy network hardware in this part of London. Let's hope the wind doesn't change direction!!! You have been great though. I'll update if anything changes.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread Braby,

Let me know if anything changes tomorrow and I'll get back on this for you if necessary. Fingers crossed this won't be needed though!

Been lovely chatting, you've been very understanding and we really do appreciate this.

Take care,

Nat_J

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat. I have tested extensively today and I have to say the results have been variable to say the least. At times it seems as if I have a usable service - meaning I can even plug in something to the master socket faceplate and caller display still works fine, at other times I can only intermittently get the number to show even with nothing but a single phone connected. It is very frustrating!
I happened to come across some posts by some chap who works for CPR - the call-blocker company ( mine won't work with the Virgin line by the way). They are long winded but contain some assertions you might want to consider - the chief of which is what I suspect is at the bottom of all this, namely line voltage.
Here's the link to one post:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone/CPR-Call-Blocker-on-Virgin-lines/td-p/2933397
And because the other is so extensive here's cut and paste of the relevant section.
It may be technobabble but then again it may not. Let me know what you think.
Bruce.

"On a normal ADSL broadband telephone line, the voltage should be anything from 48-50+volts. 
When our CPR Call Blocker is added to the line, it drains more power from the socket and lowers the
voltage. As long as the voltage is over 27 volts with the call blocker added, you should have no problems.
However, for some reason Virgin Media lower customers voltages (whether to cut/save costs, I don't know)
as the voltage doesn't normally need to be as high as normal ADSL lines as the broadband connection is Fibre
Optic and seperate to the phone line and this is where some customers experience problems.
 If you are experiencing ringing issues,  intermittent dial tone problems, loss of answerphone/voicemail or
a sudden change in how your phone behaves, then it's down to the voltage on the line. BT, SKY, TalkTalk
can all increase the voltage by boosting the signal through the exchange and Virgin should be able to do
this too (I know it's possible as I used to work for NTL/Virgin Customer Service/Faults/Broadband Tech Support)."

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for monitoring this for us Braby,

I've checked this over with our second line team again for you and they suggested a field technician would be the best way for us to proceed with this.

I've sent you a private message to confirm a date/time for this.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Well, here we are again - as things go from bad to worse in this never-ending saga! Having failed to rectify my caller display issue Virgin insisted on sending an engineer yet again. That was over a week ago, and yet again the engineer was insistent that the network card was at fault and he was recommending it be changed. Something has certainly happened - yesterday the phone stopped ringing properly and the line became very noisy, and today it is completely dead at the test socket. Even the web-based test function stalls at 99%.....I have to say this is appalling. Less time spent on empty reassurances and promises and more on training engineering staff would be my recommendation. If Nat or anyone from Virgin reads this - I think I have been more than accomodating and frankly I have had enough. Either this gets fixed - and I mean properly fixed on Monday or that's me out.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

HI Braby

I'm so sorry for the continued problems you're experiencing with your telephone service, I've located your account and can see that action has been planned for a senior engineer to come and take a closer look at this very soon.

I'll send you confirmation regarding that in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page. 

Apologies again for the inconvenience this issue has caused, we're looking forward to hearing how the appointment goes.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Craig - I can see you're a fan of cut and paste! One month in, no progress, and I'm  going round and round in circles. All the assurances and sympathy in the world doesn't make up for a shambolic system. Nobody at Virgin network engineering seems to update records, let alone actually fix the problem. Less customer service b.s. and more engineering competence please. One day I'll look back on this and laugh, but as someone raised and trained in an environment where you live or die by getting things done and done right, I find this shocking and completely unacceptable. You should forward this to your boss, if you have one.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Braby

I can't apologise enough for the inconvenience you're experiencing with your service, we're looking forward to getting this resolved and I'd love to hear how it goes. 

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos