Menu
OKStudios
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Billed for landline calls that have not been dialled from my address

My current bill from Virgin Media includes charges of £42.70 for 52 landline calls that have not been dialled from my address. I can be absolutely certain that these calls have not been dialled from my address because I live alone in a single storey flat and I know exactly how and when my landline is used.

In fact, I very rarely use my landline at all, especially for outgoing calls. A quick look through my bills for the previous few months will confirm that. 99.9% of my outgoing calls are made on my mobile phone which costs me just £10.00/month and provides me with all the phone services I need.

I phoned customer support in order to find a satisfactory resolution to this problem and the person I spoke to was insistent that these calls had been dialled from my number. I can assure you that this is not the truth.

I was informed that a technician would be sent to my property to investigate the situation and that I might possibly be billed a further £99.00 for this visit. I then received a series of text messages on my mobile phone stating that the big day was coming and someone would be coming to connect me on Tuesday the 28th of February (strange as I have been connected at this address for almost 7 years now.)

The engineer duly arrived at the stipulated time. I explained to him what the problem was and he proceeded to check things over, both at my address and at the cabinet at the end of the road. He said he found no problems with any of my equipment or connections.

I still have a bill for £42.70 for 52 calls that I know I am not responsible for.

Only four of these calls were itemised on my bill. I have called several of these numbers, on my mobile phone, in order to establish who they were. The most significant one was a call of 152.00 minutes duration at 03:45 in the morning to a company I had no previous knowledge of and that I would have no reason to do business with. All the numbers I dialled were either companies or individuals I did not know and would have no other reason to contact them.

Where does this go from here? I do not have unlimited funds and I do my best to keep my finances in order. £42.70 and a possible further charge of £99.00 for your technician's visit is a significant amount of money for me to possibly have to pay out. This issue is causing me considerable anxiety and loss of sleep. Please advise further.

Thanks & regards

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Billed for landline calls that have not been dialled from my address

Another triumph for 1st line support

The 99 quid charge is for elective work. So if you want your HUB moved from your front room to your back room, they will charge you 99 quid. There is no charge for call outs to potential faults.

So thats one out of the way.

The bill for allegedly dialed calls is likely to prove slightly more problematic. Having sent an engineer to check for teh possibility of a crossed line, VM will tell you theres no way their system will log calls that aren't made from your line, so the bill is legitimate. You need to raise a written complaint with them, then go through the procedures as per the CISAS website.

VM's code of practice for complaints

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practic...

CISAS website

https://www.cedr.com/cisas/make-a-complaint/

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Billed for landline calls that have not been dialled from my address

Another triumph for 1st line support

The 99 quid charge is for elective work. So if you want your HUB moved from your front room to your back room, they will charge you 99 quid. There is no charge for call outs to potential faults.

So thats one out of the way.

The bill for allegedly dialed calls is likely to prove slightly more problematic. Having sent an engineer to check for teh possibility of a crossed line, VM will tell you theres no way their system will log calls that aren't made from your line, so the bill is legitimate. You need to raise a written complaint with them, then go through the procedures as per the CISAS website.

VM's code of practice for complaints

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practic...

CISAS website

https://www.cedr.com/cisas/make-a-complaint/