Menu
Nebster
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bad Installation

yesterday i had all my virgin services installed... well i say all, where as the internet and tivo V6 are working brilliantly, however the same cannot be said about my phone line as the inadequate engineer has installed a telephone socket and ran the cable round the front of the house and has left it un-connected with bare wires showing! 

Absolutely furious as ive cancelled my BT line and paid for an engineer to install ALL of my services which he clearly hasnt! 

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad Installation

Hi Nebster

Welcome to the Community, I'm very sorry for the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service at the moment. 

I've located your account to take a closer look and run some tests on the line from our end for you, we're not detecting any errors at the moment though.

Have you been able to test your handset at all? By trying an alternate handset or your handset on an alternate line? 

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Nebster
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If I could show you a picture of what hes left me with I would.

The cable is connected into the telephone socket, but when it runs on the outside of the house is just ends as in the cable is cut and not connected to the main line. As in expossed, open to the elements, he has NOT connected it to the main line. I have to halfs of a cable that are NOT attached to each other to make a phone line
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hmmm - so he simply has not made the final connection? - just to check that in more detail the cable that comes from the street cabinet is twin core - one half is coax - that must be connected if you have BB - the other half of the cable carries the phone line - afaik that is 4 core phone wire - only 2 of them are used

if thats connected in the cabinet as is suggested by VM's test then you could do a temp job to get the phone up and running

as said only 2 wires are used - by looking in the internal box you can determine which 2 are used on that half of the cable - its then trial and error too work out which 2 are used on the input

you [obviously] should not have to do any of that but it would get you up and running [hopefully] until the tech came back

Tony
0 Kudos
Nebster
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes that is correct.

Hes left the cores out ready on each of the cables a blue and a white/blue.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

mistakes happen - maybe he got distracted - join them up put a bit of insulating tape round them and with luck you have a phone - whoever comes will then do it correctly and put the connections in the omnibox

Tony
0 Kudos
Nebster
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I fully understand mistakes happen, but its also frustrating as I paid for installation and have not had a full installation and no use of the phone line.

May just fix it myself and leave it at that
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nebster

Thanks for the response, I'm so sorry again for the continued inconvenience you're experiencing. 

I'd like to arrange for someone to come and take a closer look at this, if you're available? 

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nebster

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm glad to hear that you've arranged for a member of the team to come and take a closer look and would love to hear how that goes.

We'll be here if there's anything else we can assist with moving forward.

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos
Nebster
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Everything is all fixed now.

However neither of the engineers took back my old Tivo box (as upgraded to 2 V6 boxes) and I havent been sent anything to send it and old equipment back.
0 Kudos